Pacific Fjords - runway flickering and strange warning

CBris

As the title says, I am suddenly experiencing runway flickering (terrain showing through) - first noted at PAKT Ketchikan

At Sandspit I had a raised water plateau either end of the runway and suddenly I get the message shown in the picture below.

Posted Image

What did I do?

Now new sceneries added, I just disabled PNW  and went to default FSX scenery for a flight. When I reactivated PNW scenery in the FTX Central, that message popped up. Can't see unusual duplicates or anything in that folder.

I thought I might uninstall PacFjords - but where's the uninstaller? Then I looked in the start menu and I see one link FTXCentral and one link FTX Central (note the space).

One of the Orbx guys will respond soon, I'm sure, but I think this error happens sometimes when the program tries to turn off the adjustment file (by renaming it .OFF) and the old .OFF file is still there.  I believe you can set FTX back to default and go into that folder and delete the .OFF file(s) and then set it back to NA and it will be fixed.  If you're worried about deleting it, just rename it to something else.

Hi Chris,

sounds like the elevation adjustment files didn't get properly restored.

Did you install any other ORBX product after PFJ?

Also, the error message was shown when trying to switch to FSX Default, not North America, correct?

There are no automated uninstallers because the various ORBX products interact in complex ways. I don't think there's a need to re-install PFJ though, it's just a matter of getting the elevation adjustment files sorted.

You can delete one of the duplicate FTX Central shortcuts.

Cheers, Holger

I didn't install anything after PFJ... in fact since PNW I don't think I'll install any other sceneries, but FTX stuff.

However, something has undone PAKT and the terrain shows through - flattening up the chute. Ultimate terrain? FSWorld meshes?

Did you install any other ORBX product after PFJ?

Also, the error message was shown when trying to switch to FSX Default, not North America, correct?

I've had the error message both ways now - one way complains about a BGL being there and the other way about an OFF being there.

I deleted them from the scenery/world/scenery as appropriate. And I re-pasted them.

I will check the UTX issues tomorrow and fix.

It's still a tremendously beautiful area to fly over. I'd like to see the old Misty Fjords addon makers return and do their stuff - it's a pretty area to fly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am sure Nemeth would, but us Betatesters keep peeing on the fire...  :P

But it's getting there - we're all having a whale of a time flying the thing, we just need some polish on the performance. She really is fun though...

You'd have seen a lot more, but for the NDA with Nemeth - the Samson is my current fave rotorcraft to fly - and is even ahead of many FW types. The ND hierarchy only let us post piccies as from the other day - now I don't have to change planes anymore to make a point about a scenery problem... ;)

Hi Chris,

sorry but "I did my stuff" isn't very helpful for a diagnosis. Can you let me know what exactly you moved/removed/deactivated etc.?

If you do a Windows search for .bgl files with "PAKT" as part of their names the only ones that should be active are

in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PFJ05_SCENERY\scenery

FTX_PFJ_objects_PAKT_PLC.bgl

ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_Ketchikan_Intl.BGL

ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_Ketchikan_Intl_CVX.bgl

in \ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF

ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_elevation_adjustment.BGL

and in \Scenery\World\scenery

ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_elevation_adjustment.BGL

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

In my post: « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:08:18 AM » I had carried out the first aid suggestions and answered your question.

After that I tried the scenery with and without UTX and also checked the update status of UTX and its position in the file library.

After that I was still having texture flatten problems at PAKT so although I did not say in my last post, I did mean that I have even removed and uninstalled PFJ. The runway at Ketchikan is as you see in the screenshot.

With fully up to date UTX and (I hope) correctly re-installed PacFjords, I still have the flatten issue. I haven't explored all the airports either yet.

I will now go away and try your latest checks...

Posted Image

This is what I see in scenery/world/scenery:

Posted Image

Archived