YMML Melbourne International - PREVIEW PART 1 - Landside Terminal details

no offence intended to any of of the designers and the hard work they have put into theis scenery, and many others, but it continues to astonish me what poinless small bits of detail are being put into scenery these days...like honestly, is there a need to have every sign and car park booth and person etc in the scenery?...how many people are going to taxi their 767 up to the taxi rank and have a look around? obviously computers need to be able to draw all these objects that are placed in the scenery, and here starts the reason why we get such terrible frame rates in FS these days....fair enough if it was a ground based sim, where you drive around a city of walk around or whatever, but are we loosing the roots of this simulation completey? It's called Flight Simulator for a reason...to be able to fly and be in awe of the terrain etc, not pick out the pimples on the face of a pedestrian in the car park of Melbourne Airport, or be able to read the licence plate of a taxi at the domestic terminal? Honestly, it all looks awesome, but perhaps these talents should be used somewhere else? Seems like a waste to me...whats the point?

Hi Daniel, and welcome to the Orbx forums; nice first post ;)

The "pointless small bits of detail" in YMML will be directly linked to the Scenery and Autogen density sliders. That means at the "Normal" setting you're not going to be seeing all the eye candy - we will make that the preserve of those users with the grunt to do so. At Normal settings I think you will pleasantly surprised as to how well YMML performs :)

Seems like a waste to me...whats the point?

The point is, my friend, is that we're trying to create the most authentic depiction of YMML that is possible in FSX. If you are happy with the grey slabs you see at most default FSX airports, then by all means don't feel compelled or obliged to purchase our airport. I have to say that, I burst our laughing out loud when I saw your complaint of too much detail. That's a first for sure ...  ;D

Airside are shots coming real soon - just waiting on the tarmac team of Jarrad and Shaun to finalise their cleanup of the source files. To answer another question - the airside runways, aprons and taxiways will all be in 15cm gmax polys so you will see super-crisp concrete and line markings which are unaffected by the detail.bmp "grassover" effect.

To answer another question - the airside runways, aprons and taxiways will all be in 15cm gmax polys so you will see super-crisp concrete and line markings which are unaffected by the detail.bmp "grassover" effect.

Brilliant! Can't wait to see how it looks.

Stunning work you guys  ;D Just stunning.

I am actually on the team doing the real life Terminal 2 Expansion. The new International pier is underway and we're now doing another large retail piece in front of the dom Qantas Club. I'm down there once a week so I might drop into Orbx central sometime.

I am possibly going airside in a few weeks so shout if you need a photo.

You'll need to be planning your Service Packs for next year boys!  :D

Excellent work guys - really looking forward to this one and my local airport, Essendon as well!  ;-)

N.J

(former Airline Services Operator -Qantas- &

Work Safety Officer for Melbourne Airport)

So real, I can see the taxi driver short changing the new tourists !

Well done  and looking foward to buying !

I thought I saw a brawl in the queue of taxis!  I don't want to see a screeny of Flinders St then, incase there's a bunch of shirtless cab drivers!!!  ;D;)

Archived