First pic with the new rig......

alainneedle1

OK here we go, I only have FSX (duhh) Australia SP3 and PNW + PNW airport installed...no REX or anything else as of now (not enough hours in a day).....so what I've try is this.... everything  maxed out but car traffics at 20% and boat at 40%...everything else is on the right.

I have try different setting for the FPS....( by the way no FSX.CFG files tweak, no bufferpools... nothing) locked at 40, 60 and unlimited......here some pics and I'll explain, by the way loading FSX is FREAKING fast.....after choosing the airplane and the place to fly..hit the fly now button and the loading time is...11 sec.

Here is two shots with two different plane at two different place, the frame rate is off the roof BUT since I do not have any tweak applied I get some stuttering when flying and paning aroung the plane is not smooth but very flyable...I have not try over a big city or airport yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cokpit view is the same

Posted Image

Now when I lock the FPS at 60 the flight become smooth, some stuttering here and there but not much

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now frame rate locked at 40 and everything is silk, remember here ....no tweak at all...by the way look at the details....just crazy OH! I almost forgot.....NO and I mean NO blurries at all...I don't see any and I don't have to wait for the scenery to catch up with the speed of the plane....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also keep in mind I'm using a default plane here so as soon as I install a payware plane I'll try flying over a big city.....

So far here is the bottom line, SSD PCI-e card + i7 980x (overclocked) + rams at 2000MHz with a tight timing does make a difference...now IMHO the GTX 480 is my bottleneck, I think I could see some improvement with a GTX 580 (if they are 20% faster than the 480) but they would have to have a merory size of 2000MB. 

Stay tune more to come.....

very good m8 something to inspire too, could you possibly fly in a jet at say ybbn?

Here we go.....several pics...again that's with all sliders to the right.....everything ticked in YBBN control panel.

Take off...

Posted Image

Flying around YBBN......I'm over speed on some of the pics......eeeeeeeeeeee

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Touch down........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you all for your nice words, to tell you the truth I was a little worry about spending that much money on this rig not knowing how good it will run FSX.....buying a $1,200.00 SSD PCI-e card just for FSX is a little over board but I'm happy I did it.

@ Moonman.....yeap! 4677.4GHz is what it is....I got there tweaking for a full 1 1/2 week...(reading about the 1366 soket for a week before starting tweaking) I was exchanging idea with Nick N., we had a lot of fun, I picked his brain a lot, he end it up with a better CPU speed ratio memory timing himself.

What's time consuming is not to set the numbers but to pass all stress test, you think you'r there and after 45 minutes OCCT craps out, so you've spend 45 minutes waiting for nothing....back to the drawing board.....Hurry! OCCT did one hour without error but SuperPI carps out with the same settings.....very frustating...but very rewarding to have a stable rig with these numbers.

To be honest I'm flirting with danger here, I feel this rig is pushed to the max, can I get 5.0GHz....yeap! cause I've tried and I did boot up at that speed  but the voltage required is to much for confort been on air.

So I'll install more addons and I'll keep you all up to date with more testing and pics.

Very interesting topic and replies so far!!

Quote:

To be honest I'm flirting with danger here, I feel this rig is pushed to the max, can I get 5.0GHz....yeap! cause I've tried and I did boot up at that speed  but the voltage required is to much for confort been on air.

i see, i see...

it´s a bit ironic in some way, that a program (FSX) originally released in... when was it ... 2005/2006 or something?... is now pushing it´s users to this new "limits" ... sure... i know we know... a gamers or flightsimmers ;) computertechnology now has a "half-value-period" of what?... maybe let´s say between 6-24 month or even less... and sure - many FSX-add-ons around today are - overall - something very different than they were just a couple of years ago... still: the fundament (FSX) for all of this goes a loooooong way back now (counted in PC-ages) ... and: i am currently still using a 2core PC "running" at somewhere around 2,4 GHz- allthough (and this is another reason why i was following Your very interesting Topic here) buying a new PC is on top of my "things to do list" for early 2011... but i know:

it will need to be a high-end PC OCed to at least 4,..+ or something GHz... and Yes: it is an rather expensive "hobby" - but!!:

i hope that today´s hardware or the one to come within the - let´s say: next one to two years... maybe or - finally - will be the one to give an overall and truely sufficient and - who knows - even sustainable, highly functional and satisfying base for a perfectly smooth running "top-quality-add-on (in a class of ORBX, REX)-upgraded FSX"

have some nice flight!!

P.S.: So we don´t disarrange the forums too much ;) - again: Super Pictures!!

Archived