[ANSWERED] Lancair ,lack of power?

Doc44kin

Hi all,I'm only a casual flier and cannot find any settings for prop pitch etc,there seems to be something no set right as the craft struggles for speed,the runways are not long enough :-),I use a X52 controller and have the fuel mix,prop pitch,etc adjustable but cant seem to find the sweet spot,any advice would be welcome,apart from that its a nice plane John,maybe there is a turbo button somewhere :-) im missing, Doc  :(

Might also check the altitude of the airports you are using. In a real turbo, it wouldn't matter but as has been pointed out, FSX does a terrible job modeling them. Even though the manual says full rich for take off, If I'm using an airport over 3000 feet in elevation, I have to lean the motor. Otherwise I have no takeoff power unless the runway is 10,000 feet. Also, make sure your fuel pump is on. On less detailed birds, it might not matter much, but on this one, it all seems to matter. Hope this might help also.    :)

Guest bliksimpie

Darrington is a bit short. I also find this airport diffucult to get airborne and climb fast over the trees.

Currently I let her made up speed halfway down the runway then only let the flap down a bit as I do not want the flap to be on from start of runway. This seem to give me a bit more speed before I apply some flap to help generate lift at darrington.

From the POH

The following distances are quoted for the aircraft at MTOW, and operating from a sealed runway at sea level in an ICAO standard atmosphere.

Take off Distance:        1500 ft (457m)

Landing Distance:        2000 ft (610m)

But I wouldn't try Darrington myself although it has some room for practice.

Dimensions: 2491 x 40 ft. / 759 x 12 m

Surface: asphalt, in good condition

I'm still training on the slightly longer runways, Melbourne sounds good.  ;D

Guest bliksimpie

From the POH

The following distances are quoted for the aircraft at MTOW, and operating from a sealed runway at sea level in an ICAO standard atmosphere.

Take off Distance:        1500 ft (457m)

Landing Distance:        2000 ft (610m)

But I wouldn't try Darrington myself although it has some room for practice.

Dimensions: 2491 x 40 ft. / 759 x 12 m

Surface: asphalt, in good condition

I'm still training on the slightly longer runways, Melbourne sounds good.  ;D

Well then obviously there must be an issue as I struggle to just clear the trees at the end of the runway...

Sadly, the POH doesn't state how to archive this.

Brakes, full thottle, strong words and cool winds .. I haven't tried at Darrington and I'm not feeling confident enough to do so. The rotation on this little plane isn't the easiest thing to do in the flight sim world and if done to soon, the drag component will be a big no go factor while too late is one for the trees.  ;D

Maybe one of the Pros can post some tips for a somehow STOL usage for us new owners of the Lance.

The flight model still looks excellent to me so I see the difficulties here as a sign for quality.

I have some full throttle and pull up birds in the hangar, they stay there most of the time for good reason.

So we are aiming towards a fast achievement of

VX  Best angle of climb speed (KIAS)    110

after takeoff.

I'd say we go for a fast and late rotation without the gentle nose lifting before as seen on the longer runways.

Here's a better explanation http://www.flyaoamedia.com/blog/aviator90/aviator90-episode-20/

Re flaps on short field take offs.

What I was taught back in the dark ages (it seems these days) when I was training for my license in a PA28 was to pull on a second stage of flaps just before lift off. Helped pop the aircraft off the runway. Not sure if it'll work well with the Lancair though.

Hi all,

A very big thank you to all who answered my first post re.lack of take off power,it seems i'm not alone in my findings after all,being Perth based and a regular user of "Jandakot" YPJT airport (great add on) I was most suprised by the general lack of "grunt" by this new plane,what has happened to the "blistering" speed etc,etc that the "Introduction" promised,the readability of the panels and in particular the main engine panel dont help much either when you really have to extract all the power just to get airborne,its a great looking little plane but I think mine must be fitted with the origonal  0200 engine,anyway I will do some more checking for pilot errors etc and see if I can find any answers,Thanks again everyone and orbx to for thier efforts,Doc....

Doc,

if the plane does not fly as we wrote in the documentation or as described in the tutorial flight, something is different on your side versus ours. Some expected  to use this plane on short rural fields, but that is not the domain of the Lancair. 2000 feet is about what you need for it and if you are using flaps 20 which is perfectly usable for short fields you can cut out 10% take-off length.

The 1500 feet required take off length are only under optimal conditions at SL and a promise by the maker  ;) They are not useful as you cannot land on 1500 ft anyhow.

Concrete works well, even fully loaded and Darrington is borderline due to the high trees. But I fly in and out there regularly.

Our FSX model flies as the real one we checked out and the accuracy on speed, power setting and fuel consumption is within 5%, just as guaranteed by the engine manufacturer.

Rest assured that we will find the cause whey it is different on your machine.

Hi Alex, Thanks fo you information,since my last post and after reading all the helpfull advice by members I have.......

1. reduced the fuel load by 200 klg

2.removed the passenger

3.set fuel mix to full

4.set prop to 65%

5.made sure fuel pump stays on.(The manual says "run pump untill engine starts,then turn it off")

6.Hold aircraft on brakes for a few seconds after applying power for take off...

Its now a different airplane,the difference is quite remarkable so a big thanks to all the crew for the helpfull hints!

3.set fuel mix to full - is mandatory, leaning would make sense at higher altitudes (due to a FSX bug maybe above 3000ft unlike in the real thing)

4.set prop to 65% - aim for 100% there (but don't go over 2750rpm), mandatory too

5.made sure fuel pump stays on.(The manual says "run pump untill engine starts,then turn it off") - the manual says "on" too for takeoff

The manual itself or, even cooler, the EC100 will help you with those checklist items. No need to hurry there.

Especially those 65% RPM will be a big factor to miss the performance at takeoff. Use 100%, the higher RPM lets you "grab more air" if you like, mandatory for climbing.

Have fun on the long and short fields there.  :)

Thanks CoolP,

I printed out all "manuals" before I started flying,the User Guide,the POH and the tutorial flight,believe me its pretty easy for a non pilot to come up with the wrong answers,in particular the fuel pump,anyway thanks for the info I will try it out on the next "flight".

Its just a shame the craft has not got a bit more "grunt",anyway there are plenty of others in the hanger,its supposed to be enjoyable,happy flying Doc..........

Thanks CoolP,

I printed out all "manuals" before I started flying,the User Guide,the POH and the tutorial flight,believe me its pretty easy for a non pilot to come up with the wrong answers,in particular the fuel pump,anyway thanks for the info I will try it out on the next "flight".

Its just a shame the craft has not got a bit more "grunt",anyway there are plenty of others in the hanger,its supposed to be enjoyable,happy flying Doc..........

Hi Doc44kin

It has plenty of grunt!  Just not STOL grunt that you might be used to!  (Short TakeOff and Landing).  Once it lifts off, gear up, nose pointed gently up, it accelerates to way beyond anything except a turboprop can manage.  But it is certainly a different beast to what you might normally be used to.

I sent you a pm with an idea :-)

Thanks Team,

I'm sure I will get to love her with more flights,thanks for all the helpfull tips,I don't have a state of the art computer but she flys great on it anyway,

keep up the Great work,Doc......

Archived