GTX 480 how is it for you!?

petehowell57

Hi everyone.  Well I've taken the plunge and bought a GTX480 (not installed yet). As so many of you have this card now, I was wondering what you feelings were concerning the driver you are using; whether you use Nick N's profiles or nVidia Inspector; most successful "tweaks" (or not!) in FSX.cfg.

I know from reading this wonderful forum for a long time that there could be lots of different opinions but I was interested in any experiences so far.

By the way ORBX continues to excel (just purchased Walter Sutton) so thanks to all the team for their efforts. I'm hoping the new card will help me to enjoy flying even more in the future!

Pete

I use the latest drivers and the nVidia Inspector tool to achieve the "hidden" AA abilities.

The reason I use NI is because I don't just use FSX on my computer, and with NickN's profile tweaks, the AA is extended to ALL of my other programs which causes a lot of problems in some of them (Star Trek Online, Fallout 3, and Mount and Blade: Warband absolutely hate 8xS AA).

I use the card for FSX and  FPS games.

Wonderfull card i even overcloked the card to its limmits on liquid cooling.

You only gain about a few frames in FSX its not worth it.

The power consumtion is spectacular going up.

The card is so good factory clokked you dont need to overclock.

This is my experience ;)

No tweaks in FSX i stopped doing this.

My experience with tweaks if you run a high end system are not necessary.

Have a look at Johns Article

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=11307.0

I only use the Beta patch from ORBX

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?board=141.0

I use the nvidea control panel for my settings.

Grtz

It is simply the best (for the time being I guess seeing the next generation comes along faster than mice breed).

The 480 has transformed my FSX experience.  With a good CPU of course.  It can't overcome the lack of punch from an older CPU so make sure both are right, and you'll love the experience.

My only problem is that the endless tweaking to stop the endless stuttering is no longer necessary.  I'm not sure what I will do now that flying rather than tweaking (and scouring the forums) is the game.  Is it boring?

I got it for my older PC and was disappointed. Then I asked and realized it was my old rig holding it back. This week I finally finished installing my new i7-950 and the GTX-480. Wow! What a difference! Now I can have sliders near max and the images are stunning. Almost finished reinstalling everything (took a long while). Still have a few minor issues to fix but so far I'm very pleased.

Archived