New Seagate hybrid drives

tennyson

I recently caught an infection on my netbook.

It's a Lenovo Atom with 2 gb RAM and a 160gb drive.

I'd updated it to run Win7 and I use it for comms when I travel. It's been a super little unit, nice and small and really well equipped.

Anyway, I was thinking that the 160Gb drive could do with an upgrade. So, when I got the virus, I thought, that's it, time to buy a new drive (no, I'm not chucking out the old drive, just recycling it!).

So, I saw the Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 500GB drive. It was about 150 bucks.

It's a hybrid drive (we talked about them a few months back, on the forum here) and it has standard platters and a bunch of SSD chips on board too.

The idea is that initially, the ssd chips are accessed and then topped up with info from the platters.

I've seen hype that they are 80% faster than a conventional drive and nearly as fast as an SSD, but at a fraction of the cost.

I installed this arvo, loaded up Win 7 and all of my user files and programs.

I must say, I'm shocked and surprised. This thing is so quick.

I don't know how fast it is and how reliable the technology will be, but it is certainly a lot faster than a conventional notebook drive.

I'll be keeping an eye on this baby and it might pay to swap over some of my main drives to this technology as it's a good trade-off,

Frank

Depending on how its configured to call up the required software into the SSD, it could well work for FSX as well.  A lot of the FSX memory calls are easily handled from the standard drives, others benefit from the faster SSD.  So perhaps it would be of benefit.  Will certainly be looking at the option at upgrade time.

Archived