Win7..... worth the switch?

ricky76

Hey guy's,

Ok I think I know the awnser to this :-\ I am running Vista64 home premium. I like many of us, I have a 747 load of add-ons That I use frequently. Is it worth the switch to Win7 to go through ALL those re-installs? :-\ I use my PC solely for FSX, Itunes, Internet and I have it hooked up to my entertainment system, all my blu-ray movies and music are in my PC. My specs are in my sig. If the general concensus states that Win7 is the way to go I may as well go for a SSD as well since I'm going the full mile no?

Thanks for any advice guys!! :)

Yes mate put it on when i first got into flightsim i had windows XP 32 Bit, then Vista 32 Bit i then moved up to Vista 64 Bit and i thought this was great then along came Windows 7 i then installed the w7 64 Bit Ultimate and let me tell you what an improvement it has been this is the way to go in my opion anyway.

cheers

Iain

Ok, well I quess I know what I'm doing tomorrow!! Thanks Iain, and everyone for your advice! Sounds like I will be down for a bit. Win7 and a new SSD is on my list for the morning shop. Man I wish I didn't have to re-install everything but in the sake of performance..... Ya gotta do what ya gotta do eh?

Cheers guys! ;D

Just to add a cautionary note if you are expecting Windows 7 to dramatically improve your FSX performance guess what... it won't.  In my experience people who got a big performance increase with 7 did not have their Vista set up correctly or where running it with sub-standard hardware. Vista was demonised to a ridiculous degree but if you have the right hardware components already then yes you can expect to see a modest increase in sim performance.

Bryan.

Yes, yes, and yes.  XP to Win 7, but by-pass Vista.  Get 64-bit and use 6 gig of fast RAM.  Then Win 7 and FSX is faster, but the best CPU and vidcard is first, first and first.  My 960/480/6gig RAM/x52mobo/Win7 combo is just great.  As well as a clean disk and well managed.

Even though a clean install of windows 7 is highly recommended, it is possible to upgrade vista premium 64 to its windows 7 equivelent as an upgrade option when installing (Keeping current software installed).  Only downside to this is that if you currently have a software clash afecting the current operating system, this is likely to carry over to your Windows 7 installation...it may be the lazy way to go, but all you have to lose is the time attempting the upgrade option.

Archived