Which motherboard to choose?

TenBlade

I´m concidering making a budget switch from socket 775 to 1366 with an i7 930.

Now, I trust in ASUS from experience, but I know from reputation that Gigabyte is kind of a best bang for bucks manufacturer.

So, which Gigabyte mobo would you recommend?

I´ve found Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 to be within my pricerange. Now, I don´t want a budget upgrade that isn´t worth it all. So, if you think I wouldn´t get anywhere with any of the above please let me know.

Bjorn

Everyones opinion will be different. Personally I have had 3 ASUS motherboartds and all of them developed faults of some kind within a couple years. After that I got an Abit mobo that suffered no problems and now a Gigabyte mobo that is going well one year in. Do read up on motherboads though as some can get more out of your other coponents in terms of speed than others, even in the same price brackets. 

Hi Dean. I have done my home work. I´ve narrowed it down to the board mentioned. But is it ok for what we do here? Since it´s for FSX and FTX I´d like to learn from people here. You mention you own a Gigabyte board, may I ask which model it is? You wouldn´t by any chance be running an i7 930, would you (pushing my luck, I know ::) )

The more opinions the better.

B

I just built a new system with a GA-X58A-UD7, and have to say I'm very happy with it. previously I only ever had Asus boards (without any problems I may add), but when I looked here at various peoples sigs, many seemed to have gigabyte boards, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Cheers

Jack

I have the Gigabyte X58A-UD7, very high quality board have had no issues with Gigabyte boards at all, a good thing with Gigabyte is for example in their P55A range they have boards ranging from $130 for the P55A-UD3 to $299 for the P55A-UD7 they pretty much have all types of boards for almost any budget imaginable and they still keep the high end quality even with the cheaper motherboards.  ;D

Hi HC and Dwho, do you water cool the NB? I see the water block is there, but is it necessary?

I´ll definitely concider that board. But I´d modify the NB-cooler (you see my modification to current board in my sig  ;) )

Thx, guys!

B

I didn't. The board comes with this thing called Silent Pipe II or something like that, but of course me being me I managed to install the CPU cooler first - which covered the area that I would have needed to put the Silent Pipe into. So in the end after much humming and ha-ing I left it off. I haven't missed it in any case.

Jack

Hi HC and Dwho, do you water cool the NB? I see the water block is there, but is it necessary?

I´ll definitely concider that board. But I´d modify the NB-cooler (you see my modification to current board in my sig  ;) )

Thx, guys!

B

No i dont water cool the X58 chipset nor do i use the Silent Hybrid Cooler, the X58 chipset temps aren't very high even on a 4.2Ghz overclock

Thanks for your replies, guys. You've been a big help. Though I'd thought I'd wait a year or two with upgrading, I can't face not being able to approach an ORBX airport in an upcoming rendition of 737NGX... And thanks to this community I know there's lots to be had from the i7 930, which is not too pricy :-)

regards

Bjorn

EVGA MB's really rock as well, but I never see anyone in AU using them. Are they not available over there?

g'day Sniper31,

yep, I had an Evga SLI FTW fitted with an E8600 which never let me down, and now have an Evga SLI LE fitted with an i7 975 @ 4.2ghz which is rock solid on air.

Have had three Gigabyte boards with E8400 - 8600's which never malfunctioned in any way, and am tempted to upgrade to another Gigabyte when the time comes.

My experience with ASUS has been a sad tale of three boards (including a rampage) all of which failed miserably and ended on the scrap heap, just lucky I guess.

Cheers, Bill

Archived