GTX480?

mhlarsen

Overclock first! It´s all SO cpu-dependent. But combine that with a 400-series gpu, and you should be right up there. If you need help with OC you could post your specs in more detail, ram brand, timing, psu etc.

Bjorn

I have some of the tools for Overclocking like CPUZ, Intel Burntest and RealTemp, but have never really thrown myself into it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

In addition to this I have a 1000W PSU.

I was recently running a i7 940 at stock speed and then OC'd it to 4.1Ghz.

I'd already relaced my GTX295 with a 480, so I'd seen the light at the end of the tunnel already.

The OC was the icing on the cake.

Take advice from the Guru's here like Spirit Flyer and others, they are very helpful and extremely well versed in OC'ing,

Frank

Overclocking takes some studying, but there´s a thread somewhere with an OC guide for i-series cpu. I´ll see if I can dig it up on the other pc tonight, if not one of the others beats me to it  ;)

But basically, unlink cpu and ram, and overclock the two separately. You should set incremental goals in the cpu overclock, test for stability every time. Make sure your cooler is up to the job. I can recommend OCCT, free-ware easy to use stress tester, it will also monitor voltage, cheap psu has made many oc attempts hell for some people (me!).

Bjorn

Michael,

The short answer is yes! You will gain performance especially with certain sceneries. Plus, you will be able to fly with more AG and higher quality settings without sacrificing performance.

I can now run FSX with BP=0 and unlimited fps without crashes or artifacts.

With my gtx 285, it was a fiasco.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I will have a closer look at OC'ing my i7.

Is it advisable simply to go for 4 Ghz immediately and then step up from there?

I will probably also sharpen my credit card for a GTX480 buy  ;)

Waiiiit a minute here.......you have nothing in your sig. who will make me think you have a good CPU cooling system......before you do anything as far as overclocking do yourself a favor......if you don't have an after market CPU cooling system PLEASE go and get one....that is the first thing you'll need........

Overclocking is to be done by small increment at the time UNLESS you want to fry your CPU than YES try 4.0GHz to start with......good luck.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Waiiiit a minute here.......you have nothing in your sig. who will make me think you have a good CPU cooling system......before you do anything as far as overclocking do yourself a favor......if you don't have an after market CPU cooling system PLEASE go and get one....that is the first thing you'll need........

Overclocking is to be done by small increment at the time UNLESS you want to fry your CPU than YES try 4.0GHz to start with......good luck.

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev2 S1366, which was bought separately with the i7, but I'm not really sure if its up to the job. Furthermore I am also considering water cooling, but not sure if its so much better.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev2 S1366, which was bought separately with the i7, but I'm not really sure if its up to the job. Furthermore I am also considering water cooling, but not sure if its so much better.

Just wanna make sure......

Michael,

I have an i7 975x and a GTX 470 gpu and I can say, YES, you will notice a difference for sure! And as other's are saying, go for the OC too. The i7 975 is made for OC'ing, but as has been pointed out, make sure you read up about it, have proper cooling (a case with excellent cooling is as important as a great PC cooler) and above all, take it SLOW. That said, the i7 975 and a 470/480 GTX card really like each other well.  ;)

Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev2 is great for silence, and looks awesome, but may not be way up there when it comes to a hearty OC. If I had the choise I'd go for the Corsair water cooler or a more efficient push-pull config air cooler.

B

Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev2 is great for silence, and looks awesome, but may not be way up there when it comes to a hearty OC. If I had the choise I'd go for the Corsair water cooler or a more efficient push-pull config air cooler.

B

Yep, I will have to buy a better Cooler, no doubt about it  :-\

Archived