- YMML V2.0 - Latest shots, and will be on pre-order soon!

Hello all,

Just some more work-in-progress shots of YMML V2.0, which we will be placing on pre-order soon for an expected release within 6 weeks. Martin and I are hard at work on the complete makeover of this iconic airport using the vastly improved modeling efficiencies used at YBBN. The entire main airport terminal complex is a single model of only 20,000 polygons, which is a fraction of the geometry used for YMML V1.x

I am also working on the 7cm ground imagery around the airport which provide the most up-to-date markings, gate locations, taxiways, roadways and terminal areas as it stand right now in 2010 at the real airport.

Please note that some of the buildings you see are still using some placeholder textures and aren't indicative of the final textures we'll use (based on recent photos taken airside).

We have amped up the resolution of the regional coverage from 1m/pixel to 60cm/pixel and extended the aerial imagery to include the town of Bulla, Gladstown Park, Taylors Lakes and Watergardens shopping centre, and Airport West. We're also considering adding in Calder Park Raceway and the two BP service stations if we have time (or place it in a free service pack).

YMML V2.0 will be priced at AU$32.95 for both the online or DVD edition (Yes, there will now be a DVD edition!)

YMML 1.0 customers can upgrade to V2.0 for just AU$8.95 (online FSS upgrade only)

TIP:  Since YMML V1.5 will be discontinued, we recommend any new customers purchase YMML 1.5 for $23.95 before the V2.0 release, then upgrade for $8.95 - you'll get both airport versions for the same price.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Performance at this beta stage is fantastic; much, much better FPS than YMML V1.x, that's for sure. The only caveat is that this airport needs a beefy PC to keep up with the 7cm texture areas (airside aprons etc). We won't mince words - from a texture refresh handling point of view YMML V2.0 is an i7 proposition, but the rewards are very nice FPS.

[ALL pricing information in this topic is not valid as of October 31st, 2010]

Hey John,

will the new YMML V2.0 also come with a new Control Panel similar to the one used for YBBN? I really like the YBBN Control Panel as it gives us people with <i7 cpus the ability to still enjoy your (always) marvelous work.

Conchi

Hey John,

will the new YMML V2.0 also come with a new Control Panel similar to the one used for YBBN? I really like the YBBN Control Panel as it gives us people with <i7 cpus the ability to still enjoy your (always) marvelous work.

Conchi

Yes of course; all our airports have a CP ;)

Performance at this beta stage is fantastic; much, much better FPS than YMML V1.x, that's for sure. The only caveat is that this airport needs a beefy PC to keep up with the 7cm texture areas (airside aprons etc). We won't mince words - from a texture refresh handling point of view YMML V2.0 is an i7 proposition, but the rewards are very nice FPS.

In saying that can we with lower end specifications expect to be able to move our sliders further to the right at YMML if we upgrade to Version 2? And maybe add some enhancements from the CP.

Hi John,

YMML v2.0 looks great and the upgrade price is very reasonable too. I currently run YMML v1.5 ok on my rig (non i7 - see spec's in sig) and YBBN not too bad either although with most things disabled in the CP. Would you say that v2.0 is comparable to YBBN performance wise?

Cheers,

Serge

Ok, build 1000 is now in testing and we're getting some amazing results. Here's one example:

Stock 747, AI 30%, AGN: V-Dense, all other scenery sliders on max

Default YMML .... 38.8 fps

ORBX YMML V2 B1000.... 35.1 fps

So YMML V2.0 is costing only +3 FPS over default FSX YMML.

Reducing AGN to normal gets nearly 50FPS when static on the ground.

This tester was using an i7 920 @4.0Ghz, 6GB RAM, 285GTX and W7-64

Ok, build 1000 is now in testing and we're getting some amazing results. Here's one example:

Stock 747, AI 30%, AGN: V-Dense, all other scenery sliders on max

Default YMML .... 38.8 fps

ORBX YMML V2 B1000.... 35.1 fps

So YMML V2.0 is costing only +3 FPS over default FSX YMML.

Reducing AGN to normal gets nearly 50FPS when static on the ground.

This tester was using an i7 920 @4.0Ghz, 6GB RAM, 285GTX and W7-64

I find that hard to believe, though I dont doubt you. What is different in terms of Development and Modelling at YMML vs YBBN? I can get 50FPS at YBBN right now, but only if I'm looking towards the water, when I move my head around towards the terminals I get about 19 FPS. Have there been new techniques implode at YMML? If so would there ever be another update for YBBN? Thanks much.

I find that hard to believe, though I dont doubt you. What is different in terms of Development and Modelling at YMML vs YBBN? I can get 50FPS at YBBN right now, but only if I'm looking towards the water, when I move my head around towards the terminals I get about 19 FPS. Have there been new techniques implode at YMML? If so would there ever be another update for YBBN? Thanks much.

I am simply relaying some metrics coming back from testers. In fact, two of the testers are getting much better FPS than I am on my overclocked i7 (see my specs below), which indicates that either I need to do a defrag and some system tuning, or my 2560x1600 resolution is holding me back a little.

Another tester is getting even higher numbers:

Autogen - max buildings, 2000 trees

Traffic - GA and airliner (default) 100%, cars 12%

With the Robinson R22 I get 40 to 60+ FPS - that runs and looks SUPERB . With a demanding glass cockpit aircraft it's 15 FPS looking towards the city and 25+ looking towards the airport. Airport runs better than the city.

Now for a reality check from a mid-spec PC tester (AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.3GHz, Ati Radeon HD 4870, Win7-64):

1. Robinson R22 lap over the main terminal area airside/landside

AI traffic set to 50%

a. Autogen 'Normal'          Min 14, Max 29, Avg 21

b. Autogen ' Dense'          Min 11, Max 28, Avg 19

c. Autogen ' Very Dense'  Min  9, Max 22, Avg 16

2.  Dodosim Bell 206:

a. Autogen 'Normal'          Min 13, Max 28, Avg 19

b. Autogen ' Dense'          Min 11, Max 24, Avg 17

c. Autogen ' Very Dense'  Min  9, Max 19, Avg 14

3. Dodosim Bell 206, Reduced Traffic (20%):

a. Autogen 'Normal'          Min 15, Max 27, Avg 20

b. Autogen ' Dense'          Min 12, Max 25, Avg 18

c. Autogen ' Very Dense'  Min  10, Max 21, Avg 15

What is different from YBBN? Same techniques, but this time the entire airport area is a single 3DSMax model, and we don't use a ground polygon for the airside aprons.

I am sharing these testing metrics nice and early because I want our customers to make an informed decision about either upgrading or purchasing YMML V2.0

Orbx team,

This is a great achievement for a much loved local airport....after reading the test results, I look forward to purchasing this DVD.

As a bonus, with the anticipated release of FTX AU Traffic V3.0, I plan to download a car, drive along Operations Rd, park at the popular spotting area nearest 034 in order to view the V3.0 A380 landing. Going by the screenshots, it will be difficult to seperate from real life (minus the stray golf balls and occassional airport patrols along the perimeter).

All the best.

Well even if it does not run well on my PC with the PMDG 748/JS41 it might be OK with the Airbus coming out, since there are only 2 produces of yours I don't have YMML being one, I will buy it anyway just to help in a little way.

@JV are them clouds the new ones from REX that we can look forward to soon?

Hi John!

That looks splendid! I have YMML 1.5 and I am looking forward on getting the 2.0 upgrade. Maybe in my actual rig it won't go very smooth. But I'm looking forward to upgrading some day, and when I do...  :o  ;D

Thanks for the wonderful upgrade price, John!

Greetings from Spain!

• 2 weeks later...

I for sure will be getting the 2.0 upgrade! I do decent with v1.5 on this laptop, and imagine I will enjoy a nice performance increase, too!

Thanks for all the hard work on so many projects, JV. You and the team are far exceeding my dreams with the "A R A I G" (MS slogan) look you are providing us!

Many Cheers to the Team!

Well the very first post in this topic

"Performance at this beta stage is fantastic; much, much better FPS than YMML V1.x, that's for sure."

Sorry but you do need to read the topic and not just the title ;)

JV, will we have the option to turn off ground polys as we do for YBBN?  My computer hates them.

We are not using ground polys for YMML2 - only poly runways, which perform extremely well. Instead, we're using the Tamworth approach of 7cm airside imagery. The only downside to that is you'll probably want a quad-core CPU to ensure there's less blurries. Although unless you're cruising over the airport in a helo, generally you won't get blurries when taxiing.

JV, will we have the option to turn off ground polys as we do for YBBN?  My computer hates them.

We are not using ground polys for YMML2 - only poly runways, which perform extremely well. Instead, we're using the Tamworth approach of 7cm airside imagery. The only downside to that is you'll probably want a quad-core CPU to ensure there's less blurries. Although unless you're cruising over the airport in a helo, generally you won't get blurries when taxiing.

Thanks John.  I have an i7 920 not overclocked - I assume that will be okay. It runs Brissie alright with no ground polys.

Archived