different joystick configurations for different aircraft

petejohno

Is there a way to have different joystick configurations associated to different aircraft. For example, when flying fixed wing aircraft the throttle control is reversed than when flying a Heli. Sometimes I use a joystick and sometimes a yoke for different aircraft.

I would like to avoid having to change the axis and assignments every time I change to a different aircraft. Can these settings be associated to individual aircraft so that when I select an aircraft, the settings I use for that aircraft are automatically loaded ?

Pete

The payware version of FSUIPC does this. But I have noticed some draw backs. To do it all successfully, you can't set any axis in FSX I don't think, there will be conflicts if you do. If it's just the throttle, and the switches you want to change, that is quite easy in FSUIPC. just don't set the throttle axis in FSX, do it per aircraft in FSUIPC.

I have set up some axis on my X52 Pro, purely in FSUIPC, the same axis does one thing in my Bird Dog, another in my Dodo, and yet another in the Cessna 206. I use the same switches on the joystick for different functions in each aircraft.

It's a very useful program, but as I say, it has it's share of problems. Best used with care, and a lot of thought about what you want to do.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Tony,

That's the info I needed. I would like to use it for aircraft just as you describe. I have put off buying FSUIPC for years so maybe it's about time  ;D

Pete

Just be careful with it, it has a tendency to mess things up in a big way if you're careful :) Take your time, think about what you want, and remember, if you "Assign" it in FSUIPC, DON'T assign it in FSX. And remember to calibrate the new axis in FSUIPC, that's another mistake I made. No point in assigning something, then forgetting to calibrate it  ;D

All in all though, I'm pretty happy with it, and I've hardly touched what I feel it's capable of  ::)

My sound silly but try and write down what you've assigned for what aircraft. Remembering what button does what becomes a challenge once you start having individual aircraft settings.

My sound silly but try and write down what you've assigned for what aircraft. Remembering what button does what becomes a challenge once you start having individual aircraft settings.

That's why I use a label maker.  I have labels ALL over my flight controls.  ;D

I don't use FSUIPC, but I do like to have a couple of different control profiles.  Most aircraft are fine with the default, but I like two throttles on some twins, etc. 

So, I just saved several profiles that set things up the way I want.  I wrote a little menu batch file that let's me write whichever profile I want to the default.  I have to decide this before starting FSX, of course, but i find this convenient enough.  If you're not comfortable writing such a batch file, but like the idea (don't have to mess with FSUIPC), PM me and i'll send you a sample you can modify.  (but give me a week as i'm on holiday at present.)

Thanks Griphos,

Sounds good. I'll pm you soon - no hurry. I'll get the dodo in the next few days and I mainly need it for that.

Pete

I am a late comer to FSUIPC, and I don't know how I have lived without it.  I have my joy sticks turned off in FSX (I have two joysticks, a set of pedals, and three different throttle controls), and I exclusively use FSUIPC now.  One suggestion, if you purchase the program, look through the instruction manual.  There is a section in there dealing with assigning profiles to aircraft, instead of assigning individual settings to each aircraft.  I find setting up profiles for categories of aircraft, and then assigning the profile to each plane as I use it really streamlines the process.  Mike Gutierrez.  North Hollywood, California.

Archived