Ah,Christmas. Burp!

Ken Q

Very quiet Christmas here, but thoroughly delightful. 

Started Christmas Eve with a nice dinner of Chicken Cordon Bleu.  Then the midnight (10:00 PM) service at  church (Episcopal), where both of us are assisting ministers.  Home, then open presents.  Sleep in LATE!

Today, my one annual really traditional family dinner (English). Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, with all the trimmings.  A nice Bitter to wash it down. (Here in the states they label it as an "IPA."   But to be a true IPA it must go from the UK to India on a sailing ship in oak casks).  But this is very close to the bitters we enjoyed in England, at dinner and pub hopping with cousin Morris in 1990.  Stilton and Double Gloucester cheese with brandy and coffee for afters.  Wonderful. Delicious.  But most important, after all these years, A connection with the past.  Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, later Dad, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins. All gathered around Grandma and Grandpa's dining room table. Separate table for the children (I hated that!  My one year older cousin got to sit at the " grown up table, in my place, in MY house. Oh the indignantly!) Most now long gone.  The few left have drifted off.

But yet we carry on.  A lovely day of celebrating the birth of the Christ Child, of reminiscences, of good food!  Just the two of us now, but rejoicing in the power of this special time.

A happy, merry, meaningful Christmas, Hanukkah, or whichever feast you celebrate, even just a family Sunday dinner, to all.  While this date for this celebration may, on the surface, seem arbitrary, note that the Sun has stopped its retreat, and will return (to us in the North-sorry Oz, now it's our turn). Darkness has its limits.

Love and joy to all in this season!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

For the rest of the week (and leftovers).  Three days (evenings) of Candlelight Evenings left, then three months off.  Getting tired. Looking forward to the break. Love the (PT) job, but wonder how much longer we can keep it up.

• Like 2