L35 Big Bear Airport Compatability in FSX

MZee1960

Hello,

I have in my old FSX FTX Global, Vector, Open LC NA, Trees HD, and Jarrad's KPSP Scenery.

I found I had enough Orbs for L35 Big Bear Scenery, but the description seems to have a contradiction in terms - it states :

1) You require at least one of the following products to use L35 Big Bear City Airport : NA Southern California, and

2) Although designed from the ground up with NA Southern California in mind, Big Bear will blend quite happily with the all of the Orbx Global range.

Could someone please elaborate on "Big Bear will blend quite happily with all of the Orbx Global range" ? (ie. what is meant by Orbx Global range product-wise ?)

I do not own NA Southern California but do have the KPSP scenery (which L35 apparently works fine with). I would only redeem my Orbs to get L35 if I did not need to buy NA SoCal, but if installing L35 alongside my Global, Vector, Open LC NA, Trees HD, and KPSP would still present any obvious elevation/texture issues - then I would pass on it.

My plans are to move to MSFS soon, and thought this would 'inject' some new life into my old sim in the meantime, at no additional cost.

Thank-you,

Milan ....

Edited by MZee1960

Milan

This is a totally unofficial response to your question.  I love L35 Big Bear.  I used it often in FSX, and now in P3Dv5.  It's a beautiful and challenging airport.  But I have SoCal region as well, which makes for a great immersive experience.  Without SoCal region scenery, but with  Open LC NA and the other base scenery you have, I would expect results the same as with KPSP:  full airport, and basic scenery around the airport.  Better than the default, but not as detailed as with the regions.  A possible problem might be with the elevations and the mesh, but with Vector, I don't think that is likely.

I'm an experienced Orbx product user, bit by no means am I an expert.  This is what I would expect in your situation, but I'd like this verified by someone who knows more about it than I do.

Ken

15 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Milan

This is a totally unofficial response to your question.  I love L35 Big Bear.  I used it often in FSX, and now in P3Dv5.  It's a beautiful and challenging airport.  But I have SoCal region as well, which makes for a great immersive experience.  Without SoCal region scenery, but with  Open LC NA and the other base scenery you have, I would expect results the same as with KPSP:  full airport, and basic scenery around the airport.  Better than the default, but not as detailed as with the regions.  A possible problem might be with the elevations and the mesh, but with Vector, I don't think that is likely.

I'm an experienced Orbx product user, bit by no means am I an expert.  This is what I would expect in your situation, but I'd like this verified by someone who knows more about it than I do.

Ken

13 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Big Bear is a nice little airport with challenging approaches.  the Community help forum has a thread for FSX and FSX steam as well as P3D Xplane MSFS and Aerofly.

Thank-you, guys for your guidance.

I think I will move this topic to the Community Help Forum (thanks, @Bullfox for pointing me in the right direction) to confirm things.

There's a few YT videos on Orbx prerequisite regions for a certain scenery, with inconclusive results. Most airport scenery usually will blend in well if you have what I have as it covers most of the bases. I don't fly much in SoCal, but figured it would be a nice trip to visit Big Bear while at Jarrad's KPSP, when I fly out from KMRY.

Edited by MZee1960