IAF- Initial Approach Fix

wain71

I am currently doing one of my help/checklist things for the Fenix, I do them for most airliners etc.....anyway I was reading about the IAF and Greendot speed, now I understand the term and what it means along with Greendot speed, my issue is where do I find this info? Is it somewhere in my Simbrief flightplan? is it automatically computed and entered into the MCDU (FMS)?  or is it on one of the charts? I have Navigraph subscription but I am not sure if I can post the charts on here...

I have attached a copy of a flightplan I did last week just in case it's on there and I missed it. I don't want to include IAF into my list without understanding how I find that info.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

The IAF can be found on the Approach Plate of you destination airport. On Navigraph Charts click on the destination airport in the flight plan summary across the top.  Click on "chart list" "APP"  then choose the approach that you want.  I'm looking at the ILS or LOC plate for KRDD RWY 34.  At the outer end of the arrow it identifies  the initial fix (IF) "DIBLE.". Halfway along the arrow "LASSN" is identified as the (IAF).  On the horizontal plan it is identified with an "X" along with altitude and step-down instructions. The same info can be found on Skyvector as well.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Thanks 1

To add to the above, in the sample of the linked Jeppesen chart, you can see DUMBA is both an IAF (when approaching from the Oakland VOR) and an IF when approaching from MEHTA or MENLO. AXMUL is the FAF (Indicated by the Maltese cross in the profile view) no matter where you begin the approach.

Microsoft Word - Jeppesen Airline Charts CAO Series Jan 2014.doc

Edited by Gulfstreamtwo
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, wain71 said:

...looking at various charts now I can see it quite clearly in most cases, I couldn't see what was in front of me for some reason...

We've all had that experience where what we were looking for was right in front of us and we just couldn't see it. Glad the community was able to help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2022 at 8:08 PM, Gulfstreamtwo said:

"IF" denotes an intermediate fix, while "IAF" is an initial approach fix. An IF, if designated as such in the procedure, sits between an IAF and the final approach fix or "FAF".

Thanks for the clarification.

Ken

• Thanks 1