Nvidea and Ati on one system?

marshkop

For dual GPU setup you need second HD5850, nothing else will do. OR GTX275, depending if your motherboard supports crossfire or SLI.

BUT if i remember right, the other one can be used as physics card (PhysX, no use in fsx tho) or if you want many screens, you can put 2 screens to other one of them, but only get for example fsx, on one screen. IMO i would sell GTX275 and buy another HD5850 if you want crossfire.

gheeD is exactly right.  :)

While Windows 7 allows for two video cards using two different sets of drivers, you are not allowed to use them at the same time unless you are using the ATi card as the Primary Graphics Adapter and the NVIDIA card to run PhysX, which is a motion-simulating software that some software manufacturers have added into their games. You can set this from the NVIDIA Control Panel that is found within the Windows Control Panel or from the context menu after Right-Clicking the Desktop.

Guest AS355F

Sorry for buggin anyone, but I have two different vc's, a gtx 275- ATi 5850. Can I utilize the gtx some how? (specs at bottom)

What you can do is wait for motherboards to start using Lucid chips. ->Google Lucid.

That is supposed to allow combinations of any cards to be used as all the combining functions are done in software.

It hit the scene last year to big fanfare and MSI was going to build a board with a Lucid chip and it was big news on hardwre forums. I looked long and hard as I have an 8800GTX gathering dust since I switched to ATI.

Unfortunately MSI cancelled that board and Lucid kind of disappeared, but the rumours are starting to appear again. Unfortunately I don't think it is going to be as good as we originally thought

but it's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

So really at the moment the answer is no but that might change in the coming months.

Hope that helps.

Guest AS355F

NO I disagree you can run different graphics cards on the same system as long as you have 2 PCIe X 16 Slots for instance.

I have 3 cards in this PC all different.

Yes you can do that. Since Vista IIRC but you can't combine them, a'la Crossfire or SLI unless you have a solution such as what Lucid are attempting.

Ok this is what I've heard, you can run two different cards on one system but not in SLI or Crossfire.  I know that an Sli system is no good for fsx. Crossfire is no good for fsx. A dual chip card;5970 - gtx295 is no good for fsx.  So if you have two different cards not connected how would it affect fsx?

Archived