Please could I get some advice on a custom PC I have ordered for Flight Sim? Will these specs be good for flight simming?

Tobycoco

CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: ASUS® STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!

Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: 10GB ASUS TUF GAMING GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP

1st Storage Drive 1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: NOT REQUIRED

2nd Storage Drive 1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: NONE

1st M.2 SSD Drive NONE

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive NONE

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: 2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

LED Lighting 2x 50cm ARGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans 1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: 5x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Monitor PCS GD27 27" GAMING MONITOR - 1440p, IPS, 165Hz

down_right_arrow.gifChange to: ASUS VP28UQGL 28" 4K GAMING MONITOR

Looks good to me, this is a pre built system with option's of upgrading parts where indicated, yes?

If you can afford the higher spec parts, go for it, that would give you a bit more longevity. deffo go for the better spec cooler and power supply.

Using a modern AMD CPU here too (5950X) no problems whatsoever.

Make sure you are getting 64 bit Windows 10 and not home version as that only supports 16 GB ram (I think?) Win10 pro 64 bit and you will be fine.

Enjoy.

Edited by B12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, B12 said:

Looks good to me, this is a pre built system with option's of upgrading parts where indicated, yes?

If you can afford the higher spec parts, go for it, that would give you a bit more longevity. deffo go for the better spec cooler and power supply.

Using a modern AMD CPU here too (5950X) no problems whatsoever.

Make sure you are getting 64 bit Windows 10 and not home version as that only supports 16 GB ram (I think?) Win10 pro 64 bit and you will be fine.

Enjoy.

I agree , this does look like a good system and should work very nicely @Tobycoco :)

I have 64 bit Windows10 Home with 64 GB ram with no issues.  The following table is a useful summary of system limits for different Windows 10 versions

Maximum addressable memory under the current operating systems | Computer Memory Blog – hints & tips, know-how, wiki, tutorials, troubleshooting, news, purchasing advices (compuram.de)

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Renault for clarification, its been so long since I bought an OS that could not use 16 GB + :) on 64 GB here on latest build and amazingly I have seen it go past 32 GB sometimes in harsh demanding DCS situations ... once or twice + !

I think 32 GB of good DDR 4, 3600 MHZ at least is the standard these days for modern flight sim (you could not have got onto the early alpha/beta of MS2020 with 16 GB) go with 32 GB and 3600 mhz and good timing ram if you can Tobycoco.

PC spec with best options looks very good.

• Like 1

Good stuff Tobycoco, but you might not need the 64GB, only mention it because certain sims in heavy situations like DCS and indeed FS2020 in situations too can bust the 32GB limit slightly and you cant exactly upgrade to 33GB after that, its 64GB for next step.

In the future we'll need 32GB and more, so on and so forth, no doubt about it.

DDR5 is a round the corner, but its going to sting price wise, just like GPU's of recent times.

Perhaps now is the best time ... there is never a good time to buy DDR4 good spec ram and max it out.

Happy here on well timing 3600MHz  64GB DDR4 good timing modules for now.