Landmarks Cape Town City Pack...a small request

Having grown up in Cape Town, I wanted to say thank you for your impressive efforts in bringing the 'Mother City' to life as you have.

I for one appreciate the effort and time this must have taken so my suggestion that follows is done with respect for that and those involved.

Cape Town has some incredible natural scenery especially the mountains and peaks that the city is built around. For example 'Devils Peak' is one.

Likewise, Table Mountain and the 12 Apostles are done very well in your scenery.

Cape Town is also known for the impressive and famous 'Lions Head' used for it's hiking trails to the summit and interestingly it's slopes act as a launch site for paragliders.

Here is the thing though.

It's impressive and stands tall at 669 metres or 2,195 feet above sea level.

It also literally looks like a Lion (with a huge mane) at rest looking out over Table Bay towards Robben Island when viewed from certain angles.

Lion's Head (Cape Town) - Wikipedia

With that in mind, is there a chance that a little bit of love could be given to Lions Head in a future update.

There are some great examples of what is possible and I have provided a link to one of these which demonstrates what can be achieved and I hope neither you nor Emile mind me linking to his work. Lion's Head Cape Town » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thanks again for your wonderful work with Cape Town and for also considering my input.

12 hours ago, FACT said:

Cape Town is also known for the impressive and famous 'Lions Head' used for it's hiking trails to the summit and interestingly it's slopes act as a launch site for paragliders.

Don't know if you know but there's a Lion's Head on flightsim.to and it blends in nice with the new Orbx scenery. Hopefully Orbx will update CPT and bring this iconic 'beacon' to life.

https://flightsim.to/file/1469/lion-s-head-cape-town

Hi guys,

thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

We are experimenting with better terrain data for the local mountains including the entire Cape of Good Hope area. Google Maps extracts aren't an option for us but there are other possible approaches so stay tuned.

... and once we have a better and stable terrain model for Table Mountain we can implement a proper (animated?) cable car.

Cheers, Holger

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 10:53 PM, Terblanche said:

Don't know if you know but there's a Lion's Head on flightsim.to and it blends in nice with the new Orbx scenery. Hopefully Orbx will update CPT and bring this iconic 'beacon' to life.

https://flightsim.to/file/1469/lion-s-head-cape-town

I've given this a go and the flightsim.to scenery hovers above the Orbx scenery. My impression with the new Cape Town Cityscape scenery is that the buildings and harbour are pretty good but the mountains are all now very 'soft', nothing like the real thing and a step down from the default mesh. Lion's Head in particular stands out, as does the lack of the rocky area under the upper cable car station for Table Mountain, and also around Hout Bay / Constantia neck and Ou Kaapse Weg the terrain is just odd. There are also now numerous elevation issues around the coast line that are also more noticeable than before, such as Camps Bay and Llandudno. It would be great to have a refining pass.

Archived