addendum to meaningless topic #32

Hi all. When I was thinking of a topic for last week's Meaningless Topic, I settled upon "Planes that got you home." Then I started wondering how many of those planes made the list of iconic planes--the ones that grace every year's aviation calendars. Then I started thinking about my own list of favorite planes. Then--well, you can see how this turned out. The Meaningless Topic I submitted was an awkward mix of all those ideas, never quite clearly settling on any one. I meant to make tribute to a small group of really tough planes that pilots came to trust to get them home no matter what. I blew it. My apologies to y'all.

That being said, I'm working on #33, and I think you will like it. It's a beauty--hint, hint.

I think when you are scared witless in a plane, AND it gets you home - that become a great plane.

Off the top of my head, I was on a F27 Fokker Friendship traveling on a short leg, into Sydney one late afternoon, and we hit an intensive storm. Aircraft assuming every attitude and rapidly deciding, by itself, what height it wanted to fly at. Early in the action a female Flight attendant was moving down the aisles checking seat belts. Suddenly she was airborne and I can still picture the slow arc as she went up, and then landed in my lap, with ankles pointing to the ceiling.

A rough ride into Sydney but that was one plane that I gave a affectionate pat to as we exited and walked away. The F27 became a favorite as a reliable aircraft.

Aussie

2 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

I think when you are scared witless in a plane, AND it gets you home - that become a great plane.

Off the top of my head, I was on a F27 Fokker Friendship traveling on a short leg, into Sydney one late afternoon, and we hit an intensive storm. Aircraft assuming every attitude and rapidly deciding, by itself, what height it wanted to fly at. Early in the action a female Flight attendant was moving down the aisles checking seat belts. Suddenly she was airborne and I can still picture the slow arc as she went up, and then landed in my lap, with ankles pointing to the ceiling.

A rough ride into Sydney but that was one plane that I gave a affectionate pat to as we exited and walked away. The F27 became a favorite as a reliable aircraft.

Aussie

Great story, Aussie123. The stewardess must have been very grateful that you were there to break her fall--and you probably didn't mind all that much, eh?

Archived