True Earth SoCal causes crash

DanielR1

Hi,

I just bought TrueEarth SoCal HD, but when I load up San Diego, it causes x-plane to crash. I'm not sure why.

Here's my log.txt:

Log.txt

And my scenery_packs.ini(converted to .txt)

scenery_packs.txt

I verified the files using Orbx central and everything was okay

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm on macOS Big Sur and X-Plane 11.52.

Thank you

I can only see one reference to an error in your Log file and that is this:

0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | Error loading the aircraft package:
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | Aircraft/Airbus/A321(ToLiss)/A321 NEO ToLiss PW/
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | The aircraft may not look correct.
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | Please see the Log.txt file for detailed error information.
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | (OBJ_command_builder.cpp:682)

I have looked at your scenery_packs.ini and it is a total mess as far as structure and layering is concerned.

There is a formal, correct layering structure in XP which goes basically:

3rd party airports

Global airports (the default XP/Laminar airports)

Scenery addons , in this case Orbx SoCal

Enhancement addons like SFD Global

Libraries

xp4ortho Overlays if you have ortho4xp

xp4ortho tile files

3rd party mesh.

Your scenery_packs does not reflect that layering structure. I am only going to concentrate on the Orbx Socal issue so I need you to do the following please.

Rename your Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery.BAK

Make a new Custom Scenery folder.

Drag and drop from the .BAK file the 4 Orbx SoCal files of Airports, Custom, Overlay and Orthos.

Plus you need Global Airports which I cannot locate in your scenery_packs and you will need to install preferably, but for this test we can leave out.

Run XP and exit

Open the new Custom Scenery folder/scenery_packs which should only have the 4 SoCal files in it. make sure that the SoCal Airports file is on top followed by Custom/Overlay and finally Orthos.

Try a flight from a SoCal location in a default XP plane.

Report back and attach you XP log files again after the test flight.

Regarding your Mac Crash report i am afraid I do not understand Mac but if we get a CTD again after the above test is done i will try and get someone who understands Mac involved.

22 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

I can only see one reference to an error in your Log file and that is this:

0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | Error loading the aircraft package:
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | Aircraft/Airbus/A321(ToLiss)/A321 NEO ToLiss PW/
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | The aircraft may not look correct.
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | Please see the Log.txt file for detailed error information.
0:01:48.062 E/SYS: | (OBJ_command_builder.cpp:682)

I have looked at your scenery_packs.ini and it is a total mess as far as structure and layering is concerned.

There is a formal, correct layering structure in XP which goes basically:

3rd party airports

Global airports (the default XP/Laminar airports)

Scenery addons , in this case Orbx SoCal

Enhancement addons like SFD Global

Libraries

xp4ortho Overlays if you have ortho4xp

xp4ortho tile files

3rd party mesh.

Your scenery_packs does not reflect that layering structure. I am only going to concentrate on the Orbx Socal issue so I need you to do the following please.

Rename your Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery.BAK

Make a new Custom Scenery folder.

Drag and drop from the .BAK file the 4 Orbx SoCal files of Airports, Custom, Overlay and Orthos.

Plus you need Global Airports which I cannot locate in your scenery_packs and you will need to install preferably, but for this test we can leave out.

Run XP and exit

Open the new Custom Scenery folder/scenery_packs which should only have the 4 SoCal files in it. make sure that the SoCal Airports file is on top followed by Custom/Overlay and finally Orthos.

Try a flight from a SoCal location in a default XP plane.

Report back and attach you XP log files again after the test flight.

Regarding your Mac Crash report i am afraid I do not understand Mac but if we get a CTD again after the above test is done i will try and get someone who understands Mac involved.

Crashed again.

Log.txt

I purposely delete Global Airports since they sometimes conflict with my scenery and its kind of annoying. Could this be the cause of the crashes?

Possibly. There will be no clash if the layering is correctly done. If you own 3rd party airports are above Global Airports then your Global airports file will be over ridden by the 3rd party one. Hence the need to make sure your layering in the scenery_packs is correctly structured.

Can you try and use Global Airports for the test as it appears you have included these 2 addons (?) in the test or tell me what these are please:

0 Custom Scenery/AA_hnowne/
  1 Custom Scenery/AA_nmwagx/

5 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Possibly. There will be no clash if the layering is correctly done. If you own 3rd party airports are above Global Airports then your Global airports file will be over ridden by the 3rd party one. Hence the need to make sure your layering in the scenery_packs is correctly structured.

Can you try and use Global Airports for the test as it appears you have included these 2 addons (?) in the test or tell me what these are please:

I think those automatically generate with the plugin SAM, they automatically appear and are shortcuts to the SAM library as well as the World Jetways library/plugin

11 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

I redid the test with Global Airports as well as the default X-Plane airports, and it crashed again:

Log.txt

Also, I should've mentioned this earlier, but when I installed TE SoCal for the first time, I got this message:

651449812_ScreenShot2021-02-19at10_24_30PM.thumb.jpg.367388064c5c287fbe375e9109dd530f.jpg

After verifying the files, there was only 1 failed file, and after verifying again, the message went away. Could that be part of the issue?

I'm trying to install a second copy of X-Plane and install Orbx library, TE, and SAM into the new copy, I'll update you on that

OK that is much needed info as it now looks like an installation error.

Do you have a current working copy of XP rather than the 2nd copy in which SoCal is working OK? There is no need at all to be installing all your addons again into a second copy. You need to feed your 2nd copy's Custom Scenery folder from your 1st working copy via shortcuts or symbolic links. Save you loads of time and disk space. I run 3 copies of XP using one "mother" copy of Custom Scenery.

21 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Do you have a current working copy of XP rather than the 2nd copy in which SoCal is working OK? There is no need at all to be installing all your addons again into a second copy. You need to feed your 2nd copy's Custom Scenery folder from your 1st working copy via shortcuts or symbolic links. Save you loads of time and disk space. I run 3 copies of XP using one "mother" copy of Custom Scenery.

I only have 2 copies of X-Plane now. The first one in which SoCal isn't working, and the new one I just made. SoCal seems to be working fine on the new one, but I don't have any other plugins or add ons in it(aside from Orbx library and SAM)

Here's the log.txt file of the second copy, in which Orbx TE is working fine.

Log.txt

I'll try what you suggested regarding the shortcut

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but ever since I got TE, my x-plane load times(for 1st copy) have been very long before the x-plane window pops up(a few minutes at least). This was usually less than 30 seconds. The second copy has normal loading times

30 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

I just tried running my first copy using an Alias to the second copy's custom scenery, and while it doesn't crash, no custom scenery is loaded at all. It also gave me an error that went along the lines of "scenery_packs.ini couldn't be saved"

Log.txt

If it is working in the new copy then there is no problem with the addon. It would then lead to an assumption that there is a clash possibly with another addon(s) and as I have said, your scenery_packs.ini that you initially submitted is full of layering structure errors which could easily be the cause of CTDs.

You say that the 2nd copy only has SoCal and OrbxLibs and SAM installed. I suggest that you therefore start to add back, via the use of either a shortcut or symbolic link, some other addons and see if SoCal continues to work OK.

My support of the Orbx SoCal issue is really completed as we have seen there is nothing wrong with the addon as it is working fine in your new copy of XP.

The error message says that you need to change the Custom Scenery folder to not Read Only:

The file could not be saved. Check that the directory still exists and is not flagged read-only.
0:04:29.594 E/SYS: | /Users/danielr1/Desktop/X-Plane 11/Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini
0:04:29.594 E/SYS: | The file may be flagged as read-only.
0:04:29.594 E/SYS: | Change the permission on the file so it's not read-only, or create the folder listed in the file path.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:13 PM, Jon Clarke said:

If it is working in the new copy then there is no problem with the addon. It would then lead to an assumption that there is a clash possibly with another addon(s) and as I have said, your scenery_packs.ini that you initially submitted is full of layering structure errors which could easily be the cause of CTDs.

You say that the 2nd copy only has SoCal and OrbxLibs and SAM installed. I suggest that you therefore start to add back, via the use of either a shortcut or symbolic link, some other addons and see if SoCal continues to work OK.

My support of the Orbx SoCal issue is really completed as we have seen there is nothing wrong with the addon as it is working fine in your new copy of XP.

The error message says that you need to change the Custom Scenery folder to not Read Only:

The file could not be saved. Check that the directory still exists and is not flagged read-only.
0:04:29.594 E/SYS: | /Users/danielr1/Desktop/X-Plane 11/Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini
0:04:29.594 E/SYS: | The file may be flagged as read-only.
0:04:29.594 E/SYS: | Change the permission on the file so it's not read-only, or create the folder listed in the file path.

I think the problem was a faulty installation of True Earth. I took the second TE copy and put it in the first x-plane copy and it works now.

Thank you for you time!

Archived