New User of Orbx, speed slows for a bit then speeds up for a bit

AllenT

I have a high end Macbrook Pro 16-inch 2.4Ghz 8-Core Intel Core i9, with 64GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM and 2 GPUs an AMD Radeon Pro 5500m *GB, and an Intel UHD Grsphics 630 1536MB, with Catalina 10.15.7 unfortunately.

Running South Britain TrueEarth I have noticed the graphics can run very slow when flying for a bit, then speed up very fast for a bit, like it may be buffering.

My X-Plane grahics haven't been set excessively high, just wondered if this is just a matter of reducing my XPlane graphics settings to make full use of the Orbx graphics?

Thanks

No harm in trying. Also it is worth remembering that the faster the plane goes the more the GPU/CPU combi has to work to keep up with loading the scenery.

Try adjusting Graphics settings in small sequences until you can find a sweet spot. Obviously a slow and low in a default plane will work better than a fighter jet or tubeliner as far as loading graphics is concerned so you may need to adjust your setting depending on which plane you decide to fly on a particular occasion.

Are you using the Metal option as this will improve fps I understand. I use Vulkan as I operate with Windows but have heard that Metal is the Mac equivalent?

Hi

I see by your system specs that you have 2 gpu's . It might be worth checking to make sure that you are using the AMD Radeon Pro graphics card and not the integrated one on the  Intel chip.

Sorry I am not a Mac user ,  but if this happening on  a PC it would run very slowly as the Intel integrated gpu doesn't have the capability that your AMD Radeon Pro does.

A quick "google" brought this link up which might be useful as a quick check.  Find out which graphics processor is in use on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Hope this is of help and welcome to Orbx and the forums.

Cheers

Pete

Archived