graphics card recommendations for prepare v5.1?

timmo32

Gday gents im currently running a Nvidia gtx 2070 super. Specs vram 8gigs gddr6,direct 3d api version 12 driver version 456.71,A little out dated drivers, and my pc specs are msi x570 gaming board,

CPU amd ryzen 7 3800 8 core pocessor memory size 16384mb current ddr speed 3600mhz and cpu speed 3.9 ghz

now i have just got prepar v5.1 installed and it possible seems my card may not be up for the task,i keep getting this error DXGI-ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG issue,only in prepare v5,not in pdv4 or msfs,my settings in the prepar v5 are backed right off and also in the gaming card,when i try too load a flightplan in v5 it takes a long time too do so,and when i enter a flight the msg dxgi error a rises,and if i continue into the game i get sound but a black screen? if you guys dont mind looking at my card specs that would be awesome as i thought it may run this sim?,if you need more info on my gaming card please let know and maybe a card driver update may fix this??

Timmo, would definitely look at a good system clean and then make sure Win 10 update is working OK too, new drivers with old vers of Windows 10 do not get on well ... if by chance you are still using Windows 7 (or even 8.1) as some die hard enthusiasts still insist on, please drop it like a hot potato, it was a good OS but like XP, its time has passed now and causes more problems than its worth running modern sowtware.

Your PC spec is OK, more than OK, but no mention of OS ??  and other software ? ... not the highest PC spec anymore but still quite capable IMHO, when was your last format?

Make sure if you format get latest board drivers too, but honestly, Win 10 does a good job of that too providing you install an up to date version of the OS.

Maybe try running old latest ver of DX9 too, hardly anything needs it, but some require it, also basic MS stuff like latest versions of VC_redist.arm64.exe ... VC_redist.x64.exe ... and even VC_redist.exe, even if you are on 64 bit platform or not, these will do no harm and wont over write more modern versions.

Consider too, some rouge FS add ons can really ruin your day, have you installed any new FS software add ons recently?, perhaps try un-installing them one by one ... even try using Windows 10 System Restore ... its saved me more than once but is not trusted for really old complex software changes.

Good luck

The issue with Prepar3d v5.x is the fact that it is terrible in regard of VRAM overflow, which results in a simple crash of the software. Your 2070 has 8GB of VRAM, so if this is the issue here, only switching to a GPU with more VRAM would make sense. As a matter of fact, almost all those GPUs offering more than 8GB of VRAM are currently almost unavailable and if, to a ridiculously high price. 

Means: the only thing you can do for now is fine tune your settings that you do not end up in using more than 7.x GB of VRAM. You can monitor this using Shift+Z inside the simulator, you will get an indicator showing how much of your available VRAM is currently used. If you do not even manage to get that far, you might dial down the settings pretty much to test if it is a VRAM issue at all and then increase your settings back up until your sim crashes again. 

Annoying, but probably the only way...

Gday gents thanks for your input and advice,im running windows 10 and the latest update is installed and i think im using about 5 gigs of vram now,i think my issue may be a scenery issue as when i go too load a flight plan in the pdv5.1 sim it takes for ever and then crashes and shows a hung error,i disabled global vectors unticked it in the simulator scenery area  and it seems too not crash,but takes longer the useral too load a flight plan,and i can load into the main simulator straight away getting that hung error appear,maybe it might be scenery error or something?? 

If its Orbx scenery you think might be causing the issue you can do a verify check with Orbx central software but as AnkH mentions, P3D v5.1 can be quite demanding on hardware still, its an old engine stretched to its limits IMHO ... amazing what they did with it of course, but even FS2020 seems less demanding to me on very high settings.

In saying that, have a very fast PC now and latest hardware/software/drivers ETC, and it took me a couple of P3Dv5.1 launched and failed attempts and I then rebooted, tried again, and same and then next reboot it just worked and has done ever since ... go figure!

Good Luck.

Archived