GCRR TE Canary Islands with FlyX GCRR

mattsimpilot

This would appear to be a compatibility issue with the mesh. I will ask the Developer of Canaries to comment but I also suggest you contact the developer of FlyX GCRR for their suggestions.

I don't know the file structure of the Fly X addon. does it have a mesh file with it?

I also suggest maybe you can post a similar query in the X-Plane Tips and Tricks forum where some other users of both addons may be able to suggest some tips.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/277-x-plane-11-discussion-no-support-requests-please/

I will borrow this topic. How about GCTS from Justsim ? In announcement thread it was told to be compatible, but for me that's not true. Scenery_packs.ini is like installer wani it to be. Aipron and gates are still on uphill and when releasing parking brake plane will start to roll backwards.

20 hours ago, mattsimpilot said:

Hi All,

I have installed TE alongside FlyX GCRR although I am met with this issue https://i.imgur.com/FKmWHZR.png

Has anyone managed to fix this?

Thanks

Some additional information: GCRR always had that issue with the surrounding terrain, since FlyX uses the always flatten flag in the scenery, so they simply flatten a rectangle around the airport, which does not play well with the real life topology, see https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/53887-lanzarote-gcrr-fly-x-simulations/&do=findComment&comment=277627 . It's the same with their Fuerteventura scenery if I remember correctly, but there the coast is more flat so you don't notice it. Mesh patches are a mess in X-Plane 11, so these are not easy to solve, and need the cooperation of all developers. These always flatten solutions are unfortunate, especially as these airports have a significant slope in their runway, but given how much trouble it is to do it properly, I don't blame developers doing it. For example the freeware GCXO airport has the proper runway profile when used with Spain UHD, but only because the developers worked together to achieve this. When that airport is used with any other mesh than the one from Spain UHD, things will not work out well perfectly (as it is the case with the Orbx mesh...). The same goes for JustSim GCTS, that was made to be used with Spain UHD, it does not work well with other meshes (they actually provide a matching mesh for people who don't have Spain UHD, to make sure their terrain will also be like if they had Spain UHD). The main reason behind this mess is that it is not possible to provide small mesh patches that only cover an airport area in XP11, only complete tiles... Something for XP12 to solve.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:08 PM, Papickx said:

The main reason behind this mess is that it is not possible to provide small mesh patches that only cover an airport area in XP11, only complete tiles... Something for XP12 to solve.

Indeed.... I really really hope they finally resolve this problem that we have be moaning about for years.. It will make everyone's life easier and developers can be much more creative with their airports.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, vahtmestar said:

will borrow this topic. How about GCTS from Justsim ? In announcement thread it was told to be compatible, but for me that's not true. Scenery_packs.ini is like installer wani it to be. Aipron and gates are still on uphill and when releasing parking brake plane will start to roll backwards.

GCTS has been a nightmare to work with. We can't flatten the airport because it looks terrible, so we opted to try to smooth the mesh and make it work with the default airport, but the entire airport does have a gradient to it. Our testers did try it with Justsim's GCTS and it was reported to be working without floating buildings and objects, however we simply can't make the mesh work with every third-party product out there, and need help from third parties as well to make their airports work. I don't think in this instance Justsim can do much if the mesh has a gradient, but happy to work with them if there is something that can be done.

On 12/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, vahtmestar said:

I will borrow this topic. How about GCTS from Justsim ? In announcement thread it was told to be compatible, but for me that's not true. Scenery_packs.ini is like installer wani it to be. Aipron and gates are still on uphill and when releasing parking brake plane will start to roll backwards.

Exactly the same is happening with default xPlane 11 Global GCTS scenery and Orbx Canary Isles scenery.. Apron on a slope, release parking brake & aircraft rolls backwards.

@mattsimpilot I installed the Fly X GCRR package this morning and encountered the same issue with cliffs around GCRR.  I have found a quick fix for this was to do the following:

1. Find your install folder for GCRR and the Earth Nav Data directory (X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\GCRR - Lanzarote Airport - FLY X - 1.0\Earth nav data)

2. Open the apt.dat file in notepad.

3. Remove the line '1302 flatten 1' and save the change.

4. The airport will conform to the mesh rather than be completely flattened.

These changes are made at your own risk and are not a supported fix.

On 1/1/2021 at 8:33 PM, flyinggizmo said:

Exactly the same is happening with default xPlane 11 Global GCTS scenery and Orbx Canary Isles scenery.. Apron on a slope, release parking brake & aircraft rolls backwards.

I design gateway scenery for X-Plane 11; and recently contributed to the X-Plane Gateway with a refresh of GCTS at the end of last year. Similar to @flyinggizmoI have also noticed that Orbx Canaries mesh gives the apron at GCTS a very noticeable slope, something which isn't present in the default mesh (I've never used Spain UHD).

I've just finished improvements to the XP11 instance of GCLP and am currently working on improving GCRR. So am really hoping the issues at GCTS can be reduced/fixed & similar issues aren't repeated at the other airports in the set.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Archived