True Earth Canaries (and GCLA) mini-review and feedback (some bugs, mesh compatibility, etc.)

Papickx

Dear Orbx,

I would have purchased the addon even if it was only GCLA and the island of La Palma, since this is my all time favourite airport and I have been to it at least 10 times in the past decade (as a passenger), and I am happy with my purchase, but here is an extensive list of minor bugs that I have found.

Initial impressions: 

- Both the overlays, the ortho, and the mesh is nicely done.

- GCLA is beautifully modelled, it feels like the real thing, really really 5* job (except for one bug, see below), no debate about that. Runway profile is also properly modelled, I love it.

Annoyances:

- As expected, the mesh is not compatible with basically any other existing airport scenery (pay or freeware). I don't think it is the fault of Orbx, but wanted to document it maybe it is useful for other people too to read about this. Since I have all the Canary Island airports, for now my temporary solution to this is to only use the mesh and ortho from TE Canarias for the tile of La Palma (and La Gomera), and use the Spain UHD mesh and ortho for all other islands, since developers in the past have made sure their packages work with that mesh (and because that is still a beautifully done freeware package, honestly the ortho quality is on par with Orbx, of course the mesh precision is not as high, but is you fly higher that 500 feet, there is no difference - anyway, this is not the point), and I use the overlays from Orbx on all islands (easy to do with proper layering in the scenery_packs.ini), which is really great, because this way I have 1) all airports working properly, 2) a beautiful GCLA and La Palma island, 3) all islands with a combination of Spain UHD ortho and mesh (that is compatible with all other airports) and overlays from Orbx, meaning that now Spain UHD looks even better with the nicely placed buildings and POIs.

Bugs (so far):

- GCLA is missing the SAM safedock guidance system. If you load in to a stand with a gate (e.g. gate 5), then SAM works nice and the bridges connect automatically, or if you wish manually. But arriving to GCLA it is not possible to park at the stands/gates properly, since there is no safedock guidance system, so you don't know where to stop. I really hope this can be fixed, because it should not take more than half hour for the developer, and it is the only real issue with the otherwise magnificent airport. 

- La Gomera is unnaturally green. And not a bit. It looks like somebody put a green filter over the imagery. Check out Google Maps or Bing maps (zoom in properly here, as the low res imagery is also a bit off), they show much more realistic colours. Basically except for the central region, the island is pretty barren, for example in the region of the airport, everything should be rock/brown, except for the golf course of Tecina slightly to the East. In the Orbx version, everything is luch green like the golf course. It is just incorrect.

- There are some strange baked in black outline textures (I have seen them around GCLA, maybe they are also there at other places), which look like they were supposed to be baked in shading around 3D overlays of green house tents of the banana plantations, but they are 1) offset the texture (not always, but often), and 2) there is no 3D overlay objects there (I have objects at maximum), except for a few just above the airport. I attach a screenshot of this issue. This being exactly along the approach path to RWY 36 looks pretty bad on final... So this should be fixed.

1027915139_a321-2020-12-2715_23_08.thumb.jpg.f900852c092539930e4a1945e02dbd62.jpg

Overall, if these bugs are fixed, I will be happy, and I hope that more 3rd party developers will make their sceneries compatible with the Orbx Mesh, then I can also switch over from Spain UHD for the other islands.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for all the feedback Peter, very good post

Yes, we had a nightmare trying to get the mesh to work with La Palma, which is also a reason why we bundled both together, as neither will work without the other and it just made sense. I doubt any other version of La Palma will work, hence the airport requires the scenery and vice versa.

As for compatibility with other airports, we try the most popular ones and our beta team also test using these, but there are lots of freeware variants and lesser known ones, some include their own meshes, orthos, and getting it to be compatible with everything is difficult/impossible task. Any third party who wants to make their products compatible is welcome to work with us, and we welcome it, but trying to fit our mesh around a multitude of payware products (often using their own meshes) is a hard task, but we do try our best.

The La Gomera bug has been noted from other users and a patch is in the works

Thanks Tony,

Yes, fully aware of the mesh related difficulties in XP11, so that I just wanted to document, it was not a negative comment to the product.

Thanks for looking into La Gomera ;)

Any feedback on issues 1 (GCLA missing safedock system) and 3 (strange baked in outlines)? 

Cheers,

Peter

36 minutes ago, Papickx said:

Any feedback on issues 1 (GCLA missing safedock system) and 3 (strange baked in outlines)? 

The GCLA issues will be looked at by the UK development team who made the airport (They're not working today in the UK). The baked outlines, yes I'm aware of these.. They should be greenhouses but they haven't come through for some reason and only a baked shadow that's weirdly not even aligned with the building, so aware of this bug.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, giginho said:

@Papickx hi.. I want only LaPalma island with GCLA. what I have to extract from the whole Canary package? how did you do it? Thank you!

Hi, see attached an extract of my scenery_packs.ini with all the airports and sceneries of the canaries. The trick is to have the Spain UHD tiles installed (except for La Palma and La Gomera) ABOVE the ortho&mesh tile of Orbx, and have the Orbx overlays above the SpainUHD folders, so the Orbx overlays show up even above the Spain UHD scenery. Then have all custom canaries airports above the Orbx provided airport file, and GCLA on the top. That should do it.

scenery_packs.ini

On 1/19/2021 at 9:01 PM, giginho said:

and I ll do it without spain uhd?

Then it's more work, then you have to go manually into the Orbx folders and remove all the dsf files that are not related to the tile of La Palma... I would not recommend that, it's a lot of work...

The only airport that is an addon in Canaries from Orbx is GCLA. All other airports are default Laminar Gateway Scenery airports. If there are no buildings it is because Laminar has not included a 3D version of GCFV or your scenery_packs.ini is not correctly layered. Initially I suggest you attach a copy of your scenery_packs.ini for me to check.

However, this is what I see at GCFV. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.78d2bbd47dcb2aa11e39058c47416d88.JPG

I have this issue after departing Tenerife South. I have gone into Orbx Central and verified the files but everything checks out. I am not the only person with issues like this as I asked in the X-Plane 11 Facebook group and some people have this issue too.

143426254_1172458603211983_505874211514968345_n.jpg

143729486_1172457803212063_4994223656729246317_n.jpg

Welcome.

Please post your query as a separate post in the support forum. Your issue is not the same as this original poster had and we need to keep issues separate in the forums.

When you make the post please attach (not a pic of) your scenery_packs.ini and your XP settings/Graphics.

I also need your PC specs because your pics are indicating that your CPU/GPU combo cannot load scenery quick enough.

Archived