New Flightsim from Microsoft

marshkop

Looks like the next incarnation of FS may be online only??? With possibly some content stored on the users comp. If true I assume only vetted developers will be able to make addons. I may have this all wrong but it doesn't sound in the least promising.

A quick blurb from Wikipedia for those that aren't familiar with Windows Live:

Windows Live is the collective brand name for a set of services and software products from Microsoft, part of their software plus services platform. A majority of these services are Web applications, accessible from a browser, but there are also client-side binary applications that require installation on a user's PC. There are three ways in which Windows Live services are offered: Windows Live Essentials applications, web services, and mobile services.[1]

Windows Live was first announced on November 1, 2005. In its initial release, several Windows Live properties were rebranded and enhanced from Microsoft's MSN set of products and services. However, MSN still exists alongside Windows Live as a means of delivering programmed content (as opposed to customized content and communications).[2] Although the new branding might suggest closer technical ties to the Microsoft Windows operating system and services, the two are available separately. Microsoft said that Windows Live "is a way to extend the Windows user experience".[3] Windows Vista provides a link in its user interface to download Windows Live Messenger, and Windows 7 saw the removal of applications such as Windows Mail, Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Movie Maker and replaced with the Windows Live Essentials suite, a software package that allows the downloading and installation of similar offerings from Windows Live.[4] Some web-based Windows Live services such as Windows Live SkyDrive are available outside of Windows, however these services are integrated closely with the Windows Live Essentials suite of applications.

Besides Windows Live, which is mainly aimed at individuals[2], there are some other Web properties from Microsoft that are branded as "Live": Microsoft Office Live for small businesses, the Xbox Live multiplayer gaming and content delivery system for Xbox and Xbox 360, and the Games for Windows - LIVE multiplayer gaming service for Microsoft Windows. On January 23, 2009, Microsoft announced that Office Live services will be converged into Windows Live services

Al

Agreed:  I understand it is cloud computing, and I am sure they will devise some truly MS pay as you go scheme.

It may also be mainly directed at the APP world for gadgets and phones, thereby making it a "game" rather than a serious simulation.

The advertisement may indicate the end of MSFS as we know it.  However before we awfull-ise too much we will need to wait for the drip-feed of announcements that will almost certainly follow. 

I assume that as this is a start-up appointment, we have at least another year to make FSX really work, and by then the hardware will have overcome the clumsy design issues in X.

The advertisement may indicate the end of MSFS as we know it.  However before we awfull-ise too much we will need to wait for the drip-feed of announcements that will almost certainly follow. 

It may mean that there won't be a new version of a free standing MSFS, but certainly not the end of MSFS. FSX is a very sound program base for all the excellent addons, of which FTX is a significant part, that will keep it going and improving for some yyears to come.

Norman

Games for Windows Live (NOT "Windows Live" - they are different things) isn't about cloud computing. It's the online service for MP gaming. Phil Taylor, the ex FSX Project Manager, has said that FSX was supposed to be Games For Windows Live, but they couldn't get the APIs ready in time, and had to switch at the last minute to Gamespy.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_for_Windows_%E2%80%93_LIVE

I wouldn't read any doom & gloom online only content misery into this announcement. The 'cloud computing' games system from Microsoft is called 'Games on Demand', NOT 'Games for Windows Live'.

Hm. Did their Aces team leave with such animosity that they couldn't offer the job to one of them?

Being selfish, I imagine this project will take years anyway so I'm not bothered.  Probably never see it!  Anyway, I'm very happy with FSX as my base program and with all the addons, on the surface, its nothing like the original.  It would be nice if they would make some improvements though.  For instance, improve the lanclass so that it's more accurate and developers can then put the roads in the right places, that sort of thing.  Or even open the landclass to developers so that they can do that themselves!

John

I'm not too pessimistic about this. One of the aspects of flight sim that I think is really lacking is some integrated online functionality - whether that's as simple as online logs and persistent aircrafts ala FSEconomy or a full scale MMO-esque features, it can only be good for future sales and keeping this hobby alive. I appreciate the existence of vatsim/ivao/teamspeak etc, but I'd rather these were all handled elegantly within the product.

As long as the experience remains both fun and challenging/realistic, I'll be happy. I'm also not really that bothered about it being online only for the most part. My FSX machine is hardly mobile and therefore is permanently online anyway. Appreciate others may not be in this position so as long as the online features are added extra and optional, is it such a bad thing?

There is of course the potential for Microsoft to turn this into a horrendous micro-transaction laden 'game', but let's see, it could be great.

Plus there is a good chance that Aerosoft will have a flightsim too: It is pretty much a given that they will go ahead if they can secure the financing--which seems likely. After all, they are in the business of addons, as are other companies, so if THEY develop a sim it will be a csse of "If you build it, they will come" :D

Plus there is a good chance that Aerosoft will have a flightsim too: ..

Really?  It's looked pretty dead over there for a while now... Personally i'll be surprised if it happes, but then again stranger things have  :o

Cheers,

IF MS do a new flightsim, I suspect it will be offered as a boxed version--perhaps direct form Microsoft, or via resellers In this economic climate, any profit is good, which perhaps MS are waking up to, it all adds to the bottom line

Archived