How are the 3DM building bgl files numbered?

Hello,

I have what is perhaps something of an unorthodox request. I recently bought TrueEarth Northern and Southern California, and while overall I like the packages, what I really bought it for are the cityscapes for SF and LA. That means that I'd like to get rid of a lot of buildings that are not actual POIs or don't really add much to the overall feel of the downtown-y areas. Besides, the VRAM consumption on my system is quite high, and that's without adding in any airport scenery, so something will have to go!

For the LA area, I was able to figure out that any files in the Southern California folder labeled '05' with 'USXLA' contain part of the LA downtown area. Removing everything else has unfortunately also gotten rid of a lot of other buildings in the LA area however, and while the 'VRAM savings' have been significant (1.5GB!) I would like to carefully reintroduce building sin some places.

For the Bay Area, the situation is a little more precarious, since nothing is labeled with anything, making it impossible to know what files add to which cities. The only guide are some of the airport codes (e.g. KSJC), but this is not overly helpful.

However, I did notice the number sin the file names. I figured out that the first four digits (e.g. 1518) signify the globla region. Thus, 1518 is roughly the area from Redding to Monterey and SF to beyond Sacramento. However, it's the second set of four digits I have trouble deciphering, and it's this that I presume is the key to figuring out where building are located. I tried to see if they correspond to LOD or QMID values, which they do not appear to be.

I would highly appreciate if any guidance could be given to what these numbers mean and how I could go about disabling the right files without hours upon hours of trial and error. I do hope this request doesn't offend anybody at Orbx... I don't mean to say I don't like the product!

Thanks!

Benjamin

On 11/27/2020 at 6:37 AM, Benjamin J said:

I have what is perhaps something of an unorthodox request. I recently bought TrueEarth Northern and Southern California, and while overall I like the packages, what I really bought it for are the cityscapes for SF and LA. That means that I'd like to get rid of a lot of buildings that are not actual POIs or don't really add much to the overall feel of the downtown-y areas. Besides, the VRAM consumption on my system is quite high, and that's without adding in any airport scenery, so something will have to go!

In case of saving VRAM always go for the autogen density and distance slider. Those usually have a much bigger impact than the 3DM buildings.

For what it's worth attached is a KMZ file showing the naming convention of the tiles in the US regions (it's intentionally kept simple, so please don't expect any further values except the tiles names and their coverage).

Bests,

Sascha

TE_USA_Tiles_2020-12-01.zip

Hi Sascha,

I loaded the kmz for a quick view into Google MyMaps, and although it couldn't load everything, it loaded enough for me to see that I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what I need. Thanks so much!! Will have a go in Google Earth next in hopes it is able to load all the data. If not, could I bother you for a kmz downsized to only include TE Norhthern California?

I will also look more closely into the autogen vs 3DM buildings. 

Thanks for all the help!

Best,

BEnjamin

EDIT: Loaded it into Google Earth and this is perfect, precisely what I needed. Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to circle back and let you know how I fared. Eventually I realized that the important buildings are placed as part of a file that has "POI" in the name. Thus I ended up sim[ply deactivating all the 3DM buildings. And here I have to disagree with what you said Sascha: deactivating the 3DM buildings in the bay area saved me 1.2GB of VRAM usage. Of course, YMMV and will probably depend on your settings, but not I'm already using 1024 textures. With higher settings, the saving might be higher.

Overall, very happy with my bay area now! Runs smooth!

Archived