Picture from my very first MS Flight Simulator

JWxTreme

This was version 4.0, circa 1990. It shows you how far we have come. If I could have been put in a time machine back then and saw today's flight simulator with Orbx I would have been blown away. This was Meigs field in Chicago.

Posted Image

I think version 1.0 was in black and white and totally vector for the Mac. There is a cool YouTube video showing the evolution of all the versions of Flight Simulator from 1.0 to X.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0

Flight Simulator 2.0 1986

DOS - Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.0

Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0 for IBM PC (DOS)

Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.0

Microsoft Flight Simulator 98: Chicago

Cheers....

Great YouTube videos JP. I know I started with ver. 4.0 and then went to 5.1 and then 98, and then 2002 which was right after 9/11 attacks and they delayed the release. In 2006 Flight Simulator X was released but I didn't have a powerful computer so I waited. I heard so many complaints from people who couldn't  play it, or were getting very poor fps. If  you want to go back even further here is the SubLogic FS 1, circa 1980.

Looking at these pictures, I don't think I would ever have started flight simming.  You fellas must have seen something in flight simming in those days that I can't. 

Although always having an interest in flight and airoplanes, my first sim was FS9 using the keyboard but even with having to put the disc in each time it fired my imagination and I was just on the point of purchasing and downloading all the scenery for it when FSX was launched.  Am I glad I waited to upgrade my computer and get FSX.

Even now, FS9 has a lot more scenery than FSX.  For instance all the off shore stuff around the British Isles and probably elsewhere.  So FSX still has a long way to go and while being sorry for the guys who lost their jobs I'm glad Microsoft disbanded Aces which is now giving FSX a real good run.  In any case the future should be in upgrades, not new simulators where everything has to be changed again and again.

That's my opinion anyway.

In the meantime, I admire you chaps for your perseverence using what was, lets face it,  completely unrealistic sims.  Especially when there were commercial and very realistic versions of simulated cockpits and scenery being used even in the late 50's and 60's.  I only know because I went in one while working in Crawley, Sussex where they were training pilots for the Comet.

John

Looking at these pictures, I don't think I would ever have started flight simming.  You fellas must have seen something in flight simming in those days that I can't.

I know what you mean. I started with the subLOGIC Flight Simulator II (which eventually became Microsoft's property) on the Commodore C-64 in the middle of the 80s. It didn't hold my interest very long. I was 10 and I wanted to blow stuff up and not pretend that the ugly mess on the screen was supposed to be a landscape!  ;D

Posted Image

That's why I stuck with military simulations during the rest of the 80s, 90s and the first half of the big zeros, except for two slight exceptions with A320 Airbus (didn't like it at all) and Flight Unlimited (loved it!). Only in 2006, when I noticed that Flight Simulator 2004 started looking very real and convincing, came I finally back to this civilian simulation. It goes without saying that I'm hooked ever since!

That really looks awful Patrick!  How on earth did they ever sell that?!! :o

You'll notice I don't ever fly anything military and I certainly don't play fighting type games. 

I'm not a pacifist but in our younger years my wife and I were involved in enough of real war (WW2 and subsequent hostilities in the Far East) to last us a lifetime so I don't think it's really something I want to play at.

Mind you, I can understand how people do get a thrill (sort of) from playing war games and flying the military jets which are unlike any of my type of flying. Mainly low and slow and scenic!

All the best.

John

yes I had them all too. It's funny when you look at how poor the graphics were back then but I don't think we ever expected the levels of detail we have now. whats even more funny to me now is that when you think about it 2 or 3 FPS back then was like woohoo :)

Archived