Ordering hardware from the U.S

marka

I'm considering ordering 2 80GB Intel SSD's from the U.S, as they are half the price over there compared to Australia.

I've bought hardware when I've been over there but never had it shipped to Australia. Are there any issues in doing this? Warranty, damage?

Thanks

The killer factor with ordering from the US is postage. Warranty may subsequently involve returning the item to the US which will incur substantial postage costs. However, I have ordered all sorts of things from the US with no sign of damage so far so ordering from a reputable supplier is a key decider. I even ordered a complete PC including LCD monitor, Motherboard, Video card etc and sent that via US Post with no problem (while living in Honolulu previously), so postage damage was no worry as long as items are well packaged.

Make sure you clarify Warrnaty considerations from the supplier and get a clear idea on the total postage to Australia before ordering. Places like www.myus.com offer a postal service Internationally and can put several items together for postage but, again, the postage cost tends to be high, especially with weighty items.

Paul

Yeah,

I agree about the postage. I have bought a lot of gear from a very good vendor in Florida who ships very quickly and I've received goods within 3-4 days (as quick as you would expect here!). Stuff has been first class and computer gear is so reliable, it hardly ever breaks anyway.

Asia is a whole different ball game though, slow and unreliable (In my experience) and expensive, but the States are fast!

If you're gonna save half your dough, it's probably worth the risk,

Frank

I have bought lots of stuff from overseas Canada and USA also UK and if your postage price is good it is worth it. just remember the dollar is good now for us but convert to AUD with postage first use www.xe.com for a good idea if it is viable.

NCIX.com  DirectCanada  Tigerdirect.com 

I order from US all the time and I even purchased the Butt Kicker from Adrian at FSS. They all came intacked.

I sue Tiger Direct alot and also NewEgg.

Thats a shame Sniper31, what did they ever do to you?

Oops! I meant to say USE not sue....what a colossal blunder on my part. :o :o I LOVE TigerDirect and Newegg...order stuff from them all the time. Never have any problems with either of them.

I would also back up the opinion that computers are best purchased in Australia. We had heaps of issues with a computer my dad purchased form the states. Admittedly it was a crazy computer for the times... dual CPU with SCSI HDD @1k per HDD to give you an idea of much his system cost back then... either way... we had to send the mobo back and forth a few times before we finally got the whole system working. More trouble than it was worth. Needless to say... he now gets computers that are 1 generation old. I can say that his Q6600, three hundred twenty something GTX 8 something... and 8 gigs of dual memory setup isn't much slower than my current system. The difference is for example full settings with occasional lag spikes in ARMA 2 on this comp and medium settings for him computer with similar FPS performance. Is it worth getting the latest stuff? In my honest opinion... no. I think it's much better to just wait around until the prices drop down. Sure SSD are pretty sweet but the price is a bit over the top at the moment... if you can't fathom purchasing it from Australia, I would suggest it's something out of your price range at the moment because as I said, if something goes wrong, you'll very quickly encroach the price you would pay for one in Aus.

Archived