LOWI differing windsock readings

Three of the four Windsocks at LOWI are reading 180 degrees from the actual wind direction.  I'm not sure if this is something you guys control with the object parameters or if it's a larger bug with 2020.  I've noticed wrong and/or inconsistent socks at other airfields but this is the first time seeing multiple socks with different readings on the same field.

LOWI_Sox.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I really doubt that it is simply a sim bug. The default airports seem to have the windsock direction right by now. Some other addon airports had the 180 degree windsock offset problem as well, but they could easily fix it. I suspect that a wrong model was used for the windsocks that indicate the wrong direction. 

And yes, of course in real life it can happen that adjacent windsocks point towards each other, for instance when a thermal lifts off. However, here it is consistently wrong. It really spoils the immersion. A proper windsock for a pilot is more important than a properly modeled truck on the apron. I really hope it will be fixed.

59 minutes ago, Henri_W said:

I really doubt that it is simply a sim bug. The default airports seem to have the windsock direction right by now. Some other addon airports had the 180 degree windsock offset problem as well, but they could easily fix it. I suspect that a wrong model was used for the windsocks that indicate the wrong direction. 

And yes, of course in real life it can happen that adjacent windsocks point towards each other, for instance when a thermal lifts off. However, here it is consistently wrong. It really spoils the immersion. A proper windsock for a pilot is more important than a properly modeled truck on the apron. I really hope it will be fixed.

The windsocks only become animated as a certain distance (I believe it's 500 feet). This can be tweaked but you have to edit OneStore library files (I don't recall exactly where, but you can search MSFS forums). There's also a bug in MSFS where the windsock has to always be positioned in a certain way (e.g. at 0 degrees of rotation).

I understand the issue with the minimum distance of 500 feet (I modified this myself in the past), but this is in no way related to the 180 degree offset bug.  The windsocks that are off are always 180 degrees off. Just play around with the wind direction. I expect that the model used for these windsocks uses a fixed offset of 180 degrees. This should be really easy to fix. To me it is a bit weird that fixing this seems to be so hard for a payware product, while several authors of also quite detailed freeware addons are capable of fixing it within the blink of an eye. I realize that for many this is a minor bug, but for anybody that has flown or still flies for real a windsock is a crucial indicator, much more important than all the eye candy.

31 minutes ago, Henri_W said:

I understand the issue with the minimum distance of 500 feet (I modified this myself in the past), but this is in no way related to the 180 degree offset bug.  The windsocks that are off are always 180 degrees off. Just play around with the wind direction. I expect that the model used for these windsocks uses a fixed offset of 180 degrees. This should be really easy to fix. To me it is a bit weird that fixing this seems to be so hard for a payware product, while several authors of also quite detailed freeware addons are capable of fixing it within the blink of an eye. I realize that for many this is a minor bug, but for anybody that has flown or still flies for real a windsock is a crucial indicator, much more important than all the eye candy.

If you have the extended animation enabled, then I agree, this should be fixed.

• 2 months later...

Archived