Corrupted files in TE Socal

I had an X-Plane message, today, while in SoCal, that some textures were not loaded properly.  So, after the flight, I looked at the log.txt, and there were a few dds files mentioned.   I searched for a couple of them, and although they reported as being 2.8MB, the icon was not the same as others, and Preview (on a Mac) said the files were faulty.  Surprised, I thought I would verify the installation.  Well, Central downloaded a few hundred MB (!), and then said it needed to convert just 9 files - but there was an error.  Undeterred, I tried twice more, and now I get that two files are not downloading and a further two won't extract.  Central suggests I try the support button, but I didn't see it.

Anyway, short of doing a completely new installation, is there a simple way to quickly put this right?  I doubt I would ever notice what was wrong, but I hate error messages :-)

BTW, this is the SD package and I still have over 160GB of free space on the drive I have the files on.

5 hours ago, flyingdrill said:

I had an X-Plane message, today, while in SoCal, that some textures were not loaded properly.  So, after the flight, I looked at the log.txt, and there were a few dds files mentioned.   I searched for a couple of them, and although they reported as being 2.8MB, the icon was not the same as others, and Preview (on a Mac) said the files were faulty.  Surprised, I thought I would verify the installation.  Well, Central downloaded a few hundred MB (!), and then said it needed to convert just 9 files - but there was an error.  Undeterred, I tried twice more, and now I get that two files are not downloading and a further two won't extract.  Central suggests I try the support button, but I didn't see it.

Anyway, short of doing a completely new installation, is there a simple way to quickly put this right?  I doubt I would ever notice what was wrong, but I hate error messages :-)

BTW, this is the SD package and I still have over 160GB of free space on the drive I have the files on.

Very odd as there is no "conversion" in the SD copies of any TE addon, only in the HD versions.

Please attach your Orbx Central log file. If it is large then I suggest you make it a zip file. You get the log file via Orbx Central/settings/help as in the pic below.

2.thumb.JPG.f3219412508c21269a0aca977a6de924.JPG

6 hours ago, flyingdrill said:

Hi Jon,

As an addition, here's an excerpt of X-Plane's log.txt from the flight where I got the error message on screen.

One thing that amuses me is SkyMaxx Pro's complaint that the CPU (not the GPU!) is running out of memory!   On a 32GB iMac?  I don't think so!

BTW, you get up early :)

log.txt excerpt for Orbx.rtf 29.39 kB · 0 downloads

I don't sleep worrying about your problems:lol:

The log is telling about the missing  files which normally relate to a shortage of free disk space but you say you have 160GB free space on the drive you want to install onto.

Is it the same drive that the download goes onto?

I am afraid I no nothing about Mac PCs and OS so you will need to use your knowledge in cross referencing to Mac what I am about to say because it will be "Windows speak":)

By default Orbx Central will download to the C drive. TE SoCal will use about 51GB of space for the download and then it needs to extract all the zip files contained within the zip. This I believe is on the same C drive (Mac equivalent?) then it will install onto your chosen drive.

So if the drive that houses your downloads doesn't have say 70-80GB free space then Orbx Central will not complete the install and you will get messages regarding missing files like you see in your Log.

I suggest you take a look ant the attached pic and change the location of your Temp folder to the drive that has 160GB free space. That will be sufficient to not only contain your download but also install the addon.

The how to change the location of the Temp folder is ringed in Red in the attached pic:

1.thumb.JPG.91a2dc1173f192b265b31f419b26bf36.JPG

Hi Jon,

A reasonable time in the morning!

By doing some Mac file jiggery-pokey, and running Central again, all errors seem to have disappeared.  I'm not sure quite why, but Central is happy, and I ran X-Plane ( doing the same flight) with no errors being reported.

So, all good.

Enjoy your day.

That

8 hours ago, flyingdrill said:

Hi Jon,

A reasonable time in the morning!

By doing some Mac file jiggery-pokey, and running Central again, all errors seem to have disappeared.  I'm not sure quite why, but Central is happy, and I ran X-Plane ( doing the same flight) with no errors being reported.

So, all good.

Enjoy your day.

That's good news. I can sleep easy tonight !!

Archived