Is there any way to get KBHB to work with orthos?

I really appreciate the excellent scenery for KBHB, but I'm trying (and failing) to get it to work with the ortho tile i have for +44-069. I'm using Vstates by Verticalsim, which is a package similar to forkboy's orthos. I read through pretty much every topic here about this topic, and was able to get KBHB to have proper elevation while vstates is enabled by deleting the latter package's +44-069.dsf file. However, this of course removes the ortho for the entire tile, with the only ortho being that included by Orbx around KBHB. This photo shows the contrast- the included ortho is noticably darker than the default textures.

90rquuN.jpg

The ortho for Mt. Desert Island and the area immediately around the airport is good, but you can tell there is an abrupt change to the default textures. This makes approaches to Runway 22 less immersive than I would like. 

Note that I've tried pretty much every scenery.ini order combination I can think of- ZZZ_Orbx_KBHB_Bar_Harbor all the way at the bottom, above vstates but below the overlay, above everything, etc... It seems like the only way to get proper elevation data is to settle on having no ortho for most of the  +44-069 tile.

What I'm wondering is, is there something I'm missing, like some clever/obvious way to order these packages and get both an ortho tile and KBHB to work simultaneously? Would this only be possible with some sort of patch file or collaboration between these two developers? Would it be possible to make this work by generating my own tile independent of vstates? 

Thanks. I know this topic has been brought up tangentially before, but usually in the context of fixing the elevation issues at the airport. Instead I'd like to discuss possible ways to get it to play nicely with orthos.

Unfortunately Orbx doesn't make airports designed to be compatible with any ortho imagery that is not part of their licensed imagery. If the airport addon is out of their licensed regions (True Earth) then the airport is purely designed for Laminar XP default scenery.

I have Forkboy ortho and made the solution to both the initial elevation issue and the surrounding ortho by removing +44-069.dsf. It is better than nothing but may not suit your taste

• 9 months later...

Fair enough.  However, despite this, most Orbx sceneries work *wonderfully* well with various mesh options, including those created with O4XP.  It seems the actual reason KBHB does not play well is that it is a  MSFS/P3D conversion of an older scenery with grouped objects with set elevations, as opposed to individual objects which sit well on any mesh.  Many of us are not willing to give up ortho for a whole tile in order to accommodate a single airport.  As KBHB is priced as a premium product, I would want it to work as well as the other Orbx airports do for me.  But I understand it is trouble to rework the converted models to behave and maybe not enough of us ortho-heads to justify it.  Looks like a very nice scenery otherwise.

Show a pic of the problem and maybe @Sentry11 could take a look at a possible fix.

I do emphasise though that Orbx airports are designed to either fit with an Orbx True Earth region addon or the XP Default. Not designed to fit to a variety of alternative ortho addons.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:31 AM, Jon Clarke said:

Show a pic of the problem and maybe @Sentry11 could take a look at a possible fix.

I do emphasise though that Orbx airports are designed to either fit with an Orbx True Earth region addon or the XP Default. Not designed to fit to a variety of alternative ortho addons.

Of course, I understand.  Despite that, most all of the other Orbx sceneries for X-Plane do in fact work with the variety of ortho addons, as the models for them are independent of each other and sit on the mesh properly.  Grouped converted models from old FSX usually will not.  I'm not suggesting you are under any obligation to support such various mesh options many of us like to use.  But it would make it a buy for me.

Archived