LOWI "Jagged" Orthos

Dear fellow simmers! Dear Orbx Team!

For a long time I have wondered about the look of my Orthos around Orbx LOWI. I have now removed all other tiles in the area and the Demo Area and still have these weird effects of "rugged" relief structure. I have also found this effect in other screenshots on this forum. 

Do you struggle with the same issue? Are you as irritated by it as I am? Is this a known problem or a intended visual?

Please have a look at the attached album for further screenshots showing my issue. 

https://imgur.com/a/S7OoHva

Cessna_172SP - 2020-05-12 18.40.55.png

Not quite sure I understand the issue. I see some blurred textures of pictures of the actual mountains as portrayed from aerial imagery. I don't live in the Alps but I always see rugged mountains in pictures in the Alps.  Can you amplify what your concerns are please as they look OK to me unless I am missing something obvious . Thanks

Of course the relief is a bit rugged in alpine regions. But these little "holes" or "ditches", especially seen in this picture, are far exaggerated. The blurred resolution results from the aircraft located at the airport and zooming out for the screenshots. The resolution improves when flying closely, the "rugged" structure doesn't.

This style of mountains is neither present in real, nor in other orthos generated through tools like ortho4xp, nor visible with using xp-native or 3rd party mesh.

Cessna_172SP - 2020-05-12 18.39.45.png

26 minutes ago, xariAUT said:

Of course. I have tried multiple versions but always ended up with this visual. Management is done with xorganzier

scenery_packs.ini 23.99 kB · 1 download

So your screenshot is around the mountains that appear round LOWI airport, correct? I ask because I will now go to LOWI and take a pic of what I see and we can see #if there is a difference.

Hi guys,

An interesting discussion, and some good points made. I see three items from your shots: 

1. DEM. The rugged results you see are related to the elevation model (DEM), not the ortho (aerial imagery) itself. Innsbruck uses an incredibly high resolution elevation model, much higher than most other XP meshes, and relatively unique among mountainous areas addons in XP11 - source material of this quality is rare (or incredibly expensive!). This is not standard-quality mesh that you might get from other sources. The jagged terrain is very much true to life - it is a feature of this section of the Alps - lower resolution mesh would not display this level of detail though. 

2. XP11 Terrain lighting. I find in general, that the XP11 terrain lighting engine is a bit harsh. The dark areas you see aren't part of the ortho, they are just the offset shadows drawing over the (complex) DEM. I know there are a few addons (ultimate weather etc) that tweak the power/strength of shadows in XP11, however this is a matter of personal taste, and will affect building & cockpit shadows too. Changing your time of day so that these areas aren't backlit (as seen in my attached shot from one of your locations) shows how this display issue can be changed. 

3. Letting your orthos completely load - as you mentioned in your second post. Ensuring the your orthos display maximum resolution (not a lower LOD/mip-map), they will display at the same intended resolution as the elevation mesh. This will give a bit more detail in the textures, so that they match the detailed elevation mesh. 

I've attached a couple of shots;
- A comparison shot from XP11 without backlighting (and with completely loaded ortho) - roughly the same spot as one of yours. 
- A shot from a different rendering engine (P3Dv4) showing the exact same source DEM & ortho in the same spot as one of your shots. 
- A quick representative shot of the alps from my archive (not the same exact location but very close - about 15km from your first shot), showing typical jagged terrain. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

AJjtkQK.jpg

CpDirpa.jpg

Sv276nX.jpg

Archived