Orbx Central BSOD consequences

AnkH

Just that you Orbx guys are aware: I had a BSOD while running Orbx Central yesterday evening, at the moment the installation of Orbx Cityscape Honolulu was started. Not bad enough that the BSOD was obviously due to Orbx Central, it also resulted in about 20-25 add-on.xml files being empty. At least, it created a backup allowing me to recreate those empty add-on.xml files again, but what a shock. Sadly, the AS Updater did not like the empty add-on.xml (starting the AS Updater was the reason I detected that something was wrong), and now I can re-download and re-install all my AS products. Waste of time...

Hi Chris,

There is only one or two other users on this forum that have had a BSOD when using Central. In their case, it was caused by an unstable overclock. This is not something we can protect against in our code.

Unfortunately, we also cannot protect against 3rd party software like the AS Updater not handling malformed add-on.xml files.

Well, this was obviously a frustration driven post, I sorted everything out, the re-installation of the affected Aerosoft products went through without any issue. Just hope this does not happen again, as it is really a pain to re-create those add-on.xml files all manually.

And of course it was most probably related to my overclocking as well. Although it is 99.99% stable, sometimes I run into issues, almost impossible to avoid with the overclock I use. Anyway, thanks for the reply, case closed ;-)

Archived