EGPN Dundee surroundings

First of all many thanks for producing this fine scenery of one of my nearest airports :smile:

I have, however, found a few problems in the surrounding area.

1. The bandstand to the East of the airport has an autogen house on top of it.

Dundee4.png.90db6403df01d9d4e66af508e45cbbe3.png

2. The custom models for the car salesroom and the Tesco store to the East (before and after the bridge respectively) are sitting on top of TEGB style default buildings.

Dundee3.thumb.jpg.b48c88e966008a97197f1fd2d2d82778.jpg

Dundee5.thumb.jpg.5cb20331fa315bd6851644db736548ed.jpg

3. When used with TEGB North there are duplicate versions of the Mill's Observatory to the North of the airport.

Dundee2.jpg.7d20ccce55153fe28688c5834bb05643.jpg

4. When used with TEGB North there is a band of missing autogen to the North of the photoscenery provided with the airport.

Dundee1.thumb.jpg.9c48d1831506641cd8e51d6c5350ec33.jpg

This can be clearly seen using the annotator together with a much less noticeable area missing some autogen buildings just to the West of the photoscenery.

Dundee6.thumb.png.c867275d7a78ff7910caf1e01afb15ef.png

All the best,

John

I have also installed Dundee EGPN on top of True Earth GB North but, apart from the static aircraft, I can see no major differences.  I have, however, a couple of observations.  Just like John in the post above, I have duplicate bandstands at Magdalen Green (to the east of the airport) but they are different to John's.  You will also see the top left corner of my screenshot looks totally different to John's.

1562137210_MagdalenGreenBandstand.thumb.jpg.8ab149cf63aa232f4a7221fb8824dd97.jpg

The vehicles parked outside the Amazon warehouse to the west of the airport have no textures.

792145844_AmazonTrucks.thumb.jpg.20d825a5eac301983c171faf5a122bd6.jpg

The infamous Tayside House which was demolished in 2013 still appears.

646758864_TaysideHouseDundee.thumb.jpg.02e9e258c41ed655e231ce1564bd593f.jpg

In general, I was very happy with the representation of my home town in TEGB but have to say that I can see no major improvement with the installation of this latest scenery.

John

@Greg Jones

While you look into providing a possible update, could you perhaps tweak the tower night lighting to something a bit more realistic? It is highly unrealistic to see an ATC tower being brightly lit up on the inside, as this would make it impossible to do ATC at nighttime. Think about it, sitting in there, how could you possibly see anything when looking outside :) 

So to make it look realistic you should drastically reduce the lighting visible on the tower windows for the night textures. Or, if that is too complicated, remove the lighting entirely. No light inside the tower is more realistic than flood lights.

Thanks,
Markus

7 hours ago, mburkhard said:

@Greg Jones

While you look into providing a possible update, could you perhaps tweak the tower night lighting to something a bit more realistic? It is highly unrealistic to see an ATC tower being brightly lit up on the inside, as this would make it impossible to do ATC at nighttime. Think about it, sitting in there, how could you possibly see anything when looking outside :) 

So to make it look realistic you should drastically reduce the lighting visible on the tower windows for the night textures. Or, if that is too complicated, remove the lighting entirely. No light inside the tower is more realistic than flood lights.

Thanks,
Markus

The tower night lighting shown in some of the preview screenshots was already fixed in the final release!

G

11 hours ago, Greg Jones said:

The tower night lighting shown in some of the preview screenshots was already fixed in the final release!

Good to know, thanks! You might want to update the screenshots on the product page then :)

• 2 months later...

Hi I must admit to being a wee bit disappointed with the scenery on the new Dundee airport in xp 11. The Tay Railway Bridge has no high girders, a distinct part of Dundee history after the Tay Bridge Disaster of about 1888.  Alongside the high girders which replaced the section that went into the Tay during that storm, are the cassions that the original bridge rested on. See any postcard or on line google photos.

The law hill  has a representation of a plinth where the WW1 Memorial dominates the city. HMS Unicorn is not in the harbour basin and the model of the Discovery artic expedition ship is in the right place but not exactly a detailed version.  I am however impressed that the roads are so well laid out, I was able to find landmark areas of where I used to live. To be honest the free download of the  x-plane org site had the bridge and cassions at least. The representation of the road bridge is fine. The approach to the airfield is as I remember it from my first flight in the 60's. Still glad I bought it as you guys are the best of 'The look'. I would hope it gets a wee bit more work some time in the future. It does not compare well with the detail on the Southampton airport scenery which I think is fabulous, but I appreciate that Dundee is a small airport

Archived