How do I change the default installation destination?

crgrbrts

I have installed X-Plane 11 with several Orbx scenery files on my primary SSD (C:\) with a copy on my secondary SSD (E:\). Due apparently to a power outage during the startup phase of X-Plane 11 last night, the initial program on the C: drive is now corrupted and will not start properly. The copy on the E: drive does start okay, but my Orbx scenery files do not load properly. Attempts to re-load the scenery files onto the E: drive have failed since the Orbx installer defaults to the C: drive X-Plane 11 directory.  How can i change this to the E: drive?

Many thanks!!

Hello,

you should have an entry in your C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_11.txt file

pointing to both installations.

Try deleting the one that points to your C drive installation and leave the one that points to the E drive.

You should also be able to copy all your Orbx files to the E drive installation, assuming that you

installed them into the X Plane 11\Custom Scenery folder and not into an Orbx Central Library.

If they are already in a Library, running Sync Simulator should add their shortcuts to your E drive

installation, once you have edited the x-plane_install_11.txt file.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I also need to move my Orbx Central Libraries for P3D4 and P3D5 to a different location. Is there a similar way to do this? Would be nice to select a different path for the library in Orbx Central.

Thanks

Hello,

please try this:

1. Go to Settings > Libraries.
2. Note the directory of the library you’d like to move.
3. Remove the Orbx Central library that you would like to move (remember: this doesn’t delete the actual files).
4. Close Central by right-clicking on the tray and selecting “quit”.
5. Create a new and empty directory in the new location.
6. Start Central again
7. Open Settings, and then the Libraries page
8. Press ‘Create New Library’
9. Select the new library location, give it a name and then press ‘Save’.
10. Move the files from your original library into the new location. DO NOT amend the file structure. This step may take a while depending on your disk speed.
11. Delete the original library and all of its files from your disk drive. (edited) 

12. Start Central again.

Almost Nick, it did not work completely though. The new libraries (..Orbx\P3D4 and ..Orbx\P3D5) were recognized after restarting Central, but now only a small number of my products is marked as installed. It seems I will have to reinstall the whole stuff. Thanks anyway for instant help.

3 hours ago, Airbear said:

12. Start Central again.

Almost Nick, it did not work completely though. The new libraries (..Orbx\P3D4 and ..Orbx\P3D5) were recognized after restarting Central, but now only a small number of my products is marked as installed. It seems I will have to reinstall the whole stuff. Thanks anyway for instant help.

You must copy all the files across to the new library and you must not in any way alter the file structure.

On 3/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

you should have an entry in your C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_11.txt file

pointing to both installations.

Try deleting the one that points to your C drive installation and leave the one that points to the E drive.

You should also be able to copy all your Orbx files to the E drive installation, assuming that you

installed them into the X Plane 11\Custom Scenery folder and not into an Orbx Central Library.

If they are already in a Library, running Sync Simulator should add their shortcuts to your E drive

installation, once you have edited the x-plane_install_11.txt file.

Excellent tip, on my side this file was a mess from many old XP installations. Thank you....

Archived