FTX Central "unhandled exception" error after installing PNW patch

macwino

I am getting this error following installation of the patches for PNW and Twin Oaks. I get the error when I try and switch to Australia or North America. I do not get the error when I switch to Default FSX.

I am getting two different errors, one when I go to Australia and another when I go to North America. In each case the program is looking for a file in a folder entitled "Backup", which it says should be in the Scripts folder in the ORBX folder in the main FSX folder. However, the file the program is looking for is different, depending on whether I am going to Australia or North America.

It is no wonder the program can't locate the files it wants, because I do not have any folder entitled "Backup" in my Scripts folder in the ORBX folder in the main FSX folder. And I checked a backup of my entire FSX machine I made before installing these updates, and there's no "Backup" folder in this backup.

I will attach the full error messages at the end of this post.

Thanks for your assistance.

Robert

Order No. 0051681

ERROR WHEN GOING TO AUSTRALIA:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\BLDG2.dds'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.CopyBuildRestoreBat()

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.ApplyRegionChanges()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.Apply()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.lblApplyButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

FTXCentral

Assembly Version: 1.0.2.1

Win32 Version: 1.0.2.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Microsoft%20Games/Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20X/ORBX/Scripts/FTXCentral/FTXCentral.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

c76hfdoz

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

wrc1rvu0

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

ERROR WHEN GOING TO NORTH AMERICA:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\default.xml'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.CopyBuildRestoreBat()

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.ApplyRegionChanges()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.Apply()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.lblApplyButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

FTXCentral

Win32 Version: 1.0.2.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Microsoft%20Games/Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20X/ORBX/Scripts/FTXCentral/FTXCentral.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

eonqytit

System.Core

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

toimdt5e

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hi there,

we've had a similar error report once before and in that case it was a permissions issue. Try this: right-click on the ORBX folder and select Properties. Make sure that the "Read only" box isn't checked or filled blue and also that you have full user control as listed in the "security" tab. Apply the changes and try again and make sure that you run FTX Central as an administrator.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Well, I tried that and, unfortunately, it didn't eliminate the error message.

Here's what I did. I went to Properties for the ORBX folder in the main FSX folder. BTW, I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64. The Read Only box was colored blue but does not appear to have a checkmark in it. I clicked on the Read Only line and the blue box went away and there was no checkmark. I then pressed Apply and I got a dialog asking if I wanted to unset Read Only. I said yes and I chose to apply it to all folders. I then checked my Security tab and I have full access privileges. I clicked OK to exit the Properties window. I then checked the Properties box again for ORBX and the Read Only box is once again blue. I repeated the above procedure. But the blue box remains. I then tried running FTX Central as Administrator and I got the error messages I've been encountering.

I've been afraid to load FSX ever since I ran into this error for fear of messing up my files and having to reinstall FSX, etc. So I'm stuck until I get this resolved.

Robert

Holger, I should probably add the following. When I get the error message, I have a choice to Continue or Quit. I have always selected Quit thinking that was safer. But even after quitting, the change of area has been implemented. In other words, if I open FTX Central and it's set for FSX Default, and I then click on Australia, click Apply, then get the error message, then click on Quit, and my FTX Central window closes. But when I then open my FTX Central window, it shows Australia as having been selected and active. But I've been afraid to run FSX in light of the errors and my apparent lack of a Backup folder.

Robert

Hmm, I am afraid that something has gone terribly amiss with your installation if that folder is completely gone. Those patches have been extensively tested by our team and installed by thousands of customers without anyone else reporting that folder going missing.

If you can cope with the loss of your original FSX files, then a re-install of the Orbx products may be all that's needed. Alternatively, I could perhaps upload my backup folder for you to download, but given that my PC is a development machine I cannot vouch for the integrity of the backed up files ;)

Can you let me know which version of FSX you have installed: RTM, SP1 or SP2/Acceleration?

Hi John,

Sorry to learn this. But I’ll do whatever I need to do to get things back up to speed.

I am running FSX Acceleration on Windows 7 Home Premium 64.

Before we start this procedure, however, let me restate and expatiate on a few things that may be of assistance and avoid my having to do a reinstall, which will be very time consuming.

First, I have checked my weekly backups of my FSX machine going back to mid-February, when I did a new install of FSX and all my Orbx add ons in connection with a clean install of Windows 7. There is no Backup folder in the Scripts folder for any of these weekly backups. So it appears that I never had such a folder on my system from Day 1. Yet I never got this error message when trying to switch to an Orbx area until after installing the two recent PNW updates.

Shouldn’t FTX Central have detected this missing folder in the two months before installation of these updates? And if so, why didn’t it?

Second, and perhaps most important of all, this caused me to investigate whether the the path to this folder might be different than what FTX Central has been looking for since installation of the recent PNW updates. And my investigation indicates that this may well be the case.

Let me explain. Although I have no folder in the Scripts folder named “Backup,†I do have a folder named “InstallBackup†in my “FTXCentral†folder, which is in the “Scripts†folder in the “ORBX†folder in the main FSX folder. According to my FSX machine backups for the past two months, this folder has been part of my setup since Day 1. And this folder contains what appear to be the files FTX Central is looking for when it gives me the error message.

For instance, I’ve previously advised you that when I try and go from FSX Default to Australia, I get the following error:

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\BLDG2.dds'.

A file by this same name is to be found in the “InstallBackup†folder in my “FTXCentral†folder.

Similarly, when I try and go from FSX Default to PNW, I get the following error:

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\default.xml'.

Again, a file by this same name is to be found in the “InstallBackup†folder in my “FTXCentral†folder.

Of course, whether these are indeed the files being looked for - or just files with the same names - is not known to me, but is probably known to you. But if these are indeed the files being looked for, might moving this folder to the Scripts folder and renaming it to “Backup†solve the problem?

Finally, I would like to point out that my weekly backups of FSX were always performed with FTX Central in the FSX Default mode. It has always been a practice of mine to return FTX to this mode after flying in an Orbx region. Might the Backup folder be deleted as part of the transition from an FTX scenery area to FSX Default, and thus not appear in my backups, although, if anything, I would think it would be the reverse?

John, have I touched on anything here that might lead to a quick and dirty resolution of this issue?

Robert

John, I need some clarification on just what you want me to do. I do not have a folder in my Scripts folder named "Backup." Do you want me to create such a folder, and then copy the "InstallBackup" folder into this new folder? Or do you want me to copy just the contents of the "InstallBackup" folder into this new "Backup" folder? I assume you mean the latter but I'm not sure. Or do you mean something entirely different than what I've described?

Robert

John, that appears to have eliminated the error messages, although I first had to undo the Read Only settings for the new folder. But I won't be able to ensure the textures are correct until I'm able to play with the sim, which may be an hour or two. I'll keep you informed.

BTW, did your software ever create a folder called "InstallBackup", or is how I ever wound up with such a folder a mystery?

Thanks,

Robert

I'm afraid it's a mystery Robert, but I will point Ron Tape (the coder) to this post so he can do some poking around ok? Good to hear the error messages are gone :)

Hi John,

I too am experiencing a smilar issue.  I have logged this in the forum aswell and Meatycus is looking into this.

The post is under the payware support forrum, titled "FTX Central Error"

I receive error message when starting FTX Central however when I click on continue, FTX Central works fine and I am able to switch between FSX/AU/PNW regions fine.  Screen Shots are in my post if you would like to take a look.

Like Macwino, I have all FTX products to date installed and upto date with all patches aswell.

I thought you might want to know this information aswell

Cheers

Archived