Absolutely awful framerates

Franz007

Hi there

So i just decided to give the "True Earth"-sceneries a try. But after having installed "True Earth Washington" i am scared because i experienced a huge framerate drop like never! I have a quite good system (i7 7700k, 4.2 Ghz, 32GB RAM and GTX 1080Ti). But when flying over the Seattle area with the Flight Factor 320 my FPS drop to 14-15! Thats a number i almost never experienced over any other scenery so far. I use to maintain an average of 30 droping to 22-25 over the heaviest sceneries. So it ruins the whole flying experience :-(

Over northern England or California North is isn't as bad as over the Seattle area.

The problem doesnt seem to come from the photosceneries, since the FPS become slowly normal again when i leave the Seattle area.

I also noticed that the autogen is shown from any distance, although i'm using a plugin that should reduce the distance of the autogen. Is that the reason of the performance-problems? I would appreciate any help because right now i just cannot use it.

Thanks and cheers
F.

I've checked your .ini and although it is loaded with addons, it looks reasonably OK. The one thing that stands out is that you have DD Seattle airport also installed. You also have 2 entries for the SAM Library. You need to delete one of those entries from your Custom Scenery folder.

Regarding DD Seattle there are several issues reported on the Web about FPS hits when used with Orbx TE Washington:

As a test you may want to temporarily disable DD Seattle and see if your FPS improves. If it does then you have the knowledge that the heavy detail of TE Washington with  it's custom made Seattle CityScape plus the heavily detailed DD Seattle Airport, is just a bit of a step too far for your PC.

Thanks for your feedback. Ok i will deactivate the DD Seattle scenery and see how it works. I also noticed the double "SAM Library" but thats quite a mystery because i only can find one single SAM-library in my plugins folder....

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

not really my area of expertise but the scenery_packs.ini file entry seems to point to SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/SAM_Library/,

so perhaps you should be looking there instead?

You're right. But its pointing twice to the plugin-folder. Not sure anymore where it is suppose to be but the strange thing is that it's pointing twice to the plugin-folder although i have it only once there...

There is a bit of confusion regarding the latest SAM version. It in theory doesn't now require a copy of the SAM Library to be in the Custom Scenery folder as it is supposedly now part of the SAM installation that goes into the Resources/Plugin folder. It then makes an entry into the scenery_packs showing the SAM library is placed in the Resources/plugins folder.

If you check in the Resources/plugin folder, the size of the SAM installation is over 250MB in size which indicates that it is much larger than the original SAM installations which were a few MB in Resources and over 180-200MB in Custom Scenery as SAM Library.

Here is what my scenery_packs.ini reads for SAM:

SCENERY_PACK K:\XP11 M2\Resources\plugins\SAM\lib\SAM_Library/

I hope the above clarifies. I don't think the double entry in the scenery pack is in any way affecting the fps issue. That is more to do with the DD Seattle addon.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I don't think that any plug-in should have an entry in the scenery_packs.ini file.

Could the plug-in folders have become misplaced into the Custom Scenery folder?

There should be /SAM_Library, but I think nothing else.

I dont think either. But it happens automatically. If i remove it from the plugin folder it will disappear completely form the scenery-pack-file. And as soon as i move it back to the plugin folders, not only it appears again but it writes it automatically back into the scenery-pack-file pointging to the plugin-folder. And now even better: he writes it 3 times now, not onyl twice! Thats the stranges thing i'v ever seen since years..

2 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

There is a bit of confusion regarding the latest SAM version. It in theory doesn't now require a copy of the SAM Library to be in the Custom Scenery folder as it is supposedly now part of the SAM installation that goes into the Resources/Plugin folder. It then makes an entry into the scenery_packs showing the SAM library is placed in the Resources/plugins folder.

If you check in the Resources/plugin folder, the size of the SAM installation is over 250MB in size which indicates that it is much larger than the original SAM installations which were a few MB in Resources and over 180-200MB in Custom Scenery as SAM Library.

Here is what my scenery_packs.ini reads for SAM:

SCENERY_PACK K:\XP11 M2\Resources\plugins\SAM\lib\SAM_Library/

I hope the above clarifies. I don't think the double entry in the scenery pack is in any way affecting the fps issue. That is more to do with the DD Seattle addon.

Yeah i dont think either it causes that issue since i removed it completely and the fps didnt change. I removed the DD Seattle-scenery now and it became a very little bit better. But with the Fligh Factor A320 it's almost impossible to keep the FPS over 20-22 all the time. It moves up and down very fast, going sometimes up to 32-33fps  and then down to 14, freezing, stuttering...so sadly it's almost unusable for me. I tried it with the ZIBO 738 and it's much better but still has a huge impact on my FPS. I tried to reduce the texture-resolution and/or the edge-smoothening even to zero. But there is barely a change...i had similar (if not that dramatic) effects over England (central and north): a lot of stutterings and i would be scraed to try out "England south" that contains the whole London area...

I have to say that the sceneries look absolutely amazing but it ruins a bit too much the flying experience so i dont know what to do right now.

I can only suggest that you moderate the type of plane you fly in that region. I use the default Cirrus a lot as it is not too demanding. Try some VFR flying at around 5-10000ft and enjoy the scenery you have paid for rather than inside the cockpit of a resource demanding tubeliner. The tubeliner can be used for the rest of the world flying. Only a suggestion.

Archived