TrueEarth GB performance

andiflyit

Hi all,

meanwhile I have TrueEarth GB the complete set and I very much enjoy to fly there, it's great. 

With the new updates for GB South some faulty autogen areas (buildings) have been corrected, very good.

This is only to report that I experience a big difference in performance of GB South and the newer GB Central and North.

I have fantastic framerates for example at Edinburgh around 35-40 frames. Same for other urban areas in Central and North.

But I only have 20-25 frames at Southhampton area and 16-20 around Heathrow airport. No, it's not the traffic...

Don't really understand that, something is different. And there are a lot of the HD-Airports around London.

Cheers

Andreas

London has always been one of the most demanding areas to fly around in the FS world, and the detailed representation of this area in TrueEarth GB South has only served to highlight this even more. However, I must admit that I have been rather impressed with the framerates over London since upgrading to my new PC this year. The performance around London on my old PC (with the first version of GB South) with all custom buildings and autogen enabled was very poor at maximum detail levels (4-5fps), but when I conducted a test flight at Heathrow this weekend on my new PC (with the new version 2 of GB South, and again at maximum Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density), I was pleasantly surprised at just how much better the framerates were. For the record, framerates of "16-20" over London in this scenario would be excellent as far as I am concerned (considering the slideshow on my old PC), and I must have been getting at least that (considering how flyable it was, with far fewer stutters; and this is compared to the experience on my old PC with all of those 3DM buildings disabled).

As for Southampton, I would not be at all surprised to discover that this area has been given "extra special treatment" as far as landmarks and custom 3D models are concerned, since John Venema lives down there.

Specification of my old PC........

Gigabyte Z97A motherboard

Intel i5 4690k CPU @ 4.3Ghz

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler

16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR3-1600 RAM

2GB GeForce GTX 770 GPU

Corsair RM750 PSU

2x2TB Toshiba DT01-ACA200 7200rpm hard disks

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

By the way, when I say "new PC", I do not mean "state of the art 2020 technology". I only had the opportunity to upgrade at all because of the extreme generosity of a handful of my flightsim friends. The specification is listed below.....

Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard

Intel i5 7600k CPU @ 4.6Ghz

Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-4266 RAM @ 3600Mhz

6GB GeForce GTX 980Ti GPU

Corsair RM750x PSU

2x2TB Toshiba DT01-ACA200 7200rpm hard disks

Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit

I always fly with calm winds and clear skies

1920x1080 resolution

2048x2048 textures

4xSSAA and 16x AF

LOD Radius @ High

Autogen Draw Distance @ High

Tessellation @ High

Mesh Resolution @ 5 metres

Scenery Complexity @ Extremely Dense

Buildings and Trees Autogen Density @ Extremely Dense

Water Resolution @ High

Dynamic Lighting enabled

Shadow Quality @ High

Shaow Draw Distance @ Medium

Shadows (Cast and Receive) - Internal Vehicle/External Vehicle/Simulation Objects

Custom AI planes @ 100% (no limiter, so a LOT of planes around London)

PMDG 737NGX/747/777 and Quality Wings 787

What settings do you use in P3D v4?

You don't say what aeroplane you are using.
A complex payware airliner like a PMDG or FSLabs, will take away even more performance in what Christopher already told you is a highly demanding area in the P3D world.

You have to make compromises when flying in intensive areas.

For instance, to get a smooth experience when I fly over London in a payware airliner:

- Turn off weather or max. 1 cloud layer with at most 2/8 cloud cover
- I reduce AI to max. 70 aircraft at or flying in/out of my destination airport
- Autogen draw distance to medium

- Turn off any road and ship traffic
- No dynamic lighting during daytime
- Water detail low

- Turn off all water reflections, put dynamic reflections slider to Low

- Move each of the Terrain sliders (except 'Texture resolution') one notch left.
- Uncheck shadows cast by Sim Objects
- Use MSAA instead of SSAA

I get about 24 FPS, dropping to 21 FPS on approach into AS EGLL in 737NGX.

Also, think about deactivating from your scenery library any nearby airports that you don't want to use in your current sim session.
For instance, flying into EGLL, I deactivate EGLC, EGKK, EGSS, EGGW. Stops any background loading of these airports and might save you another 1-2 FPS.

Sorry, I'm a bit late replying but no time available during week.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:42 AM, Christopher Low said:

What settings do you use in P3D v4?

I always use autogen on "very dense" in TE GB, to me this is a good compromise. Autogen draw distance on medium.

Water settings high, wind 8 kts and some cirrus clouds. Little AI traffic and no car traffic, this only creates problems, works better in Xplane.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:42 AM, Christopher Low said:

As for Southampton, I would not be at all surprised to discover that this area has been given "extra special treatment" as far as landmarks and custom 3D models are concerned, since John Venema lives down there.

If so the big JV should start some extra effort to improve the framerates there!  :) 

This is also true because of the most excellent EGHI HD airport. 

I need 8 SSAA to get perfect graphics without any flickering in the vc and on the ground.

Using these settings I can fly over London using a "not demanding" GA aircraft at 15 frames, works well. Fantastic scenery.

But I can fly over crowded areas like Liverpool in Central or North even using more complex GA aircraft and have over 30 frames.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:33 AM, F737NG said:

I get about 24 FPS, dropping to 21 FPS on approach into AS EGLL in 737NGX.

Jet flying using NGX or so does not interest me much, I don't even have a NGX payware model.

To change settings for a certain area to fly in is not what I do. I never change anything except my scenery.cfg and sometimes autogen to extremly dense.

Interesting to see you have the Ryzen 3700X installed, I have some plans to upgrade to this cpu later.

Do you both see any benefits from the 32 GB memory? 

Cheers

Andreas 

Archived