Where is a backup of my Scenery.cfg?

dekla24

Operating system:  Win 10

Simulator:  FSX

Screenshotimage.png.a10862318106badafbf12a67e5476e3c.png

Issue:  scenery.cfg backup missing

Every program I've ever installed that modifies my scenery.cfg creates a backup. 

Usually in the same folder. 

Unfortunately I can't find it, so where did you save a copy?

If there's no copy of the old scenery.cfg see this as a feature request for the installer.

If you make it easy to upgrade please also make it foolproof. 

So unless there is a scenery.cfg backup that I can use to figure out the insertion points, please see this not as an issue but as an urgent feature request to save other simmers from wasting time on what's to be supposed to be a simple upgrade. Notably, one I was advised  to do urgently by FTX global!

central.log

Hello,

this program is not an installer, it is a means of modifying your scenery.cfg file, as is for example

the SceneryConfig Editor, which also does not create a backup of the scenery.cfg file before applying changes.

Your many backup folders are each made redundant by the next and serve no useful purpose.

Where did the Orbx one come from?

On 2/13/2020 at 9:33 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

this program is not an installer, it is a means of modifying your scenery.cfg file, as is for example

the SceneryConfig Editor, which also does not create a backup of the scenery.cfg file before applying changes.

Your many backup folders are each made redundant by the next and serve no useful purpose.

Where did the Orbx one come from?

Hi Nick,

One single backup I entirely enough because only after the installing of the Orbx Central I got to read that I should have noted the insertion points of the scenery library before.

I didn't know they would be lost. 

If the installer made  a single copy while installing then I could have just looked up the insertion points no problem whatsoever.

Now I'll have to see if I can easily extract single files from my backup to figure out where it used to be inserted.

Best,

David

18 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello David,

you need only to use the Insertion Point tool.

The correct configuration is to place the Airports and Regions below the lowest

of your other addon scenery and the open LC block below the Airports and Regions block.

Hi Nick Thanks for the help.

I'll try that. I just know last time I had some problems with it because I also use an addon mesh and it took me a long time to get every addon to play along nicely. 

Hi David,

We did backup the scenery.cfg file previously but it appears we've had a regression and this is no longer the case. It appears our backing up of dll.xml, terrain.cfg and add-on.xmls is still working correctly though. I've made a note of this and our team will investigate restoring this feature.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:32 PM, Mitchell Williamson said:

Hi David,

We did backup the scenery.cfg file previously but it appears we've had a regression and this is no longer the case. It appears our backing up of dll.xml, terrain.cfg and add-on.xmls is still working correctly though. I've made a note of this and our team will investigate restoring this feature.

Thank you for the feedback :) it's very appreciated! 

Archived