TE Florida coastline appearance, and other things

flyingdrill

Just installed Florida on my iMac.  Looks pretty good.  Before I start messing things up, should I delete the several custom Florida airports I've either bought or got as freeware?  Also, should I still use the underlying X-Pilot mesh, or delete that as well?

Next (and this is before I start editing the scenery_packs.ini file), I am very disappointed with the appearance of the coastlines in S. Florida (and the Gulf Coast, as well), in that they are devoid of condos!  I am currently using the SD version, and wonder whether that is the reason.  I have the X-Plane objects dialled right up to maximum.

Going North from Miami, N. Miami Beach, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano and going on N. look pretty bare on the coast, apart from the odd tall building.  This destroys the illusion of being there, because it just does not look that way in real life - more so from a plane.  

So, should I delete a load of stuff, or re-order or what (and that includes getting rid of Drzewiecki design's amazing Miami!)?

Please supply pics of the areas devoid of condos.

You  shouldn't need to uninstall any Florida airports.

Attach your scenery_packs.ini for checking

TE Florida includes a Miami Cityscape so the choice is yours. I currently don't know regarding compatibility issues with DD Miami

@Tony Wroblewski I would appreciate some comments on the customers observations and questions regarding DD Miami and 3rd party airports. Thanks Tony.

Your pics aren't highlighting the point you are making as far as I can see. I was expecting pics of the coast with apparently no condos where condos should be, but your pics are much further inland than expected.

I will take a look at the scenery packs shortly.

You were up early! :)    Sorry.  My fault.  If you look a bit closer, you can see the shoreline.   There are admittedly long patches of shoreline with no condos in the RW, but it just looks pretty bare in the sim, with one or two buildings sprouting up.    It's still a wonderful job by Orbx, and I'm being very picky.    This photo shows the Port Everglades inlet (where the cruise ships leave), and it correctly has modelled the Pier66 Hotel, and a couple of the condos.  Further North, there should be a string of fairly tall hotels, and beyond that should be Galt Ocean Mile, which has a long line of tall hotels and condos.  It just looks pretty bare, and similarly further North and South, where there has been a lot of development in the last 15 years or so.  I suppose there has to be a limit in what can be done.  I was just a little disappointed with that, although the package is pretty incredible!  What about the X-Pilot mesh - leave or delete?

Thanks for your interest.

JF_PA28_Warrior - 2020-02-07 10.28.48.jpg

You don't need any mesh installed for this area if using TE Florida.

As for the condos, I didn't have detailed height data for everywhere in Florida so not every building has height information. Most of the major cities do, but a lot of it is algorithmic based on government land use data, which is actually just marked as residential housing (hence the smaller buildings). I'll see if I can improve the appearance, but it's a tricky because it might end up making too many tall buildings as well, which could look worse :)

Thanks Tony.  Probably worth a look on Google Earth (but I guess you already have!) to see what's going on along the Gold Coast.  I take the point on too many tall buildings, but it just looks a bit sparse now.  However, the main residential areas look great.  So much to explore, and I've hardly scratched the surface.  

I believe that "line" is simply the transition from Orbx's TE to default.  Pretty much the same as one gets at the edge of an installed ortho patch of tiles.  It isn't great, but I've learned to ignore it.   I understand the problem with the buildings.  If one knows an area very well, it is easy to spot the ortho's footprint of a known taller building, with just one (or maybe 3 or 4 storeys) in the sim - but how can Tony replicate the aspect of RW everywhere?  It would be a monumental task.  However, if he can (and he has indicated that he will try) to populate some stretches of the coastline with some more taller buildings, it would definitely increase the immersion.  I guess that there won't be a vast number of customers who would even know there is a "problem"! :rollmyeyes:

1 minute ago, flyingdrill said:

I believe that "line" is simply the transition from Orbx's TE to default.

Yep this is correct. The issue is that the coastline around Miami is very close to the tile border. If we include the neighbouring tile which is mostly water then we also have to find imagery and data to include part of the Bahamas which is not an easy task. I can include low resolution blurry imagery for the islands but the issue is that people who actually want to fly there from Florida will be quite angry to see a blurry mess. This is a big downside to the 1x1 degree tile limit that X-Plane enforces, making problems like this very difficult to fix.

Archived