Orbx Global Base uninstall process?

DaveRuk

OK, so I've had odd issues with recently installed EGNX, and despite help given here, it won't play ball. Yesterday I installed EGLC, which is a real event on approach. However, on trying to use the turning apron all hell broke loose, clearly some terrain/elevation issue.

Oddly if I start my sim there, it looks great, all surfaces behave as expected, and I can use the turning point just fine - but even a short hop from EGLL makes it show differently, nasty jaggy edges around the runway, and yep, the turning point makes the aircraft go nuts again, as the surface is compromised. There's a similarity here with my EGNX issue in that if I start the session there, it is just fine, but if it's a destination, that is when I see the odd building issue I've posted about in another thread.

So I have decided to bite the bullet, and remove all Orbx from the sim prior to reinstalling, hoping the new Central will ensure a good job of it.

So far I've removed everything (I have UK and US regions, Global Base and a load of airports) with the intention of:

-completing removal of all Orbx products
-restarting sim and checking positioning of 3rd party addons such as FlyTampa, UK2000 and Aerosoft
-If they are nicely organised at the top of the scenery list, use the last one as reference to select the Insertion Point for Orbx in Central
-Then commence adding my Orbx products once more

All I have left in Central is SODE, and I can't see the point of uninstalling that for the sake of it, and Global Base.

Except there is no option to remove Global Base in Central. I had not even noticed this was absent.

So the guidance I'd appreciate is:
-How do I remove Global Base? (as there are a number of entries right at the top of my library, namely ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE1, ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1, ORBX!OPENLC_zBASE) or should I just use the option to demote them in the sim scenery library, the proceed with my reinstallations, regions first then airports?
-Does my approach make sense? I appreciate it will take time, but my thinking is to clean the sim of Orbx, and then reinstall using Central to an insertion point that should give Orbx a clear view of where it is supposed to be in terms of library order.

I'd welcome pointers on the Global Base query, and indeed recommended installation options in Central (i.e. "in sim" vs "Orbx library" locations)

many thanks, in advance

Dave

Hello Dave,

Happy New Year to you too.

It is not possible to uninstall Global Base because it replaces thousands

of default files, without which the simulator will not run.

However, if you run Verify files for it, you will have checked all the files and

Orbx Central will ensure that they are all there and add the scenery library entries.

Hi Nick
thanks for the reply. I can't recall if my Global Base was installed using the previous Orbx installation product or the current Orbx Central, probably the former, which may have had a backup creation option - I could be mistaken there, but I take your point about using Verify to deal with any issues in the live installation.

I'm actually thinking it's been a while since a sim rebuild, but I've previously found things are better overall after doing that, and right now I'm only P3D v4.5 on the main module anyway, so it might be an idea to go 4.5 on the lot finally.

If I did that (using the Win10 Uninstaller for P3D components) would I be right in thinking that Orbx Central would then "see" Global Base as uninstalled?

I'm just thinking that right now I believe my Orbx Global is installed "in sim" folders, and if I started over from scratch, Central would let me select an external library location where I could target all my Orbx products, Global included, which may be a better way forward for me, and in the process I could set a clear insertion point with respect to other addons.

Does that sound a sensible, but time consuming option? (which I don't mind every now and then!) :)

kind regards
Dave

Hello Dave,

the Orbx Central team are still not ready to allow the installation of Global Base outside the simulator.

On that basis alone, I don't think it is yet the right time to start again.

As and when they have finally ironed out the wrinkles, that would be a better moment, I think.

As things stand, you would still end up with Global Base overwriting the default textures and that can

only be undone now by reinstalling P3D v4.

Having said all of that, there is no reason to suppose that replacing the default scenery textures will

have any adverse effect at all.

To be honest, in the respect of Global Base only, I do not see any advantage of installing it outside P3D

at all. The apparent stated aim is to allow products to be unaffected by a P3D update, which I do understand

but set against that is the addition of a whole set of default textures that most Orbx customers never want to

see again.

These will then sit unused inside the P3D folder, while P3D uses a duplicate but much better quality set of

textures from outside.

Replacing the textures seems a much more efficient way to carry on.

Just my 50 pence worth of course.

Thanks again Nick.

Ah yes of course. In that case when I get into the rebuild I'll ensure I have the latest version of Central installed, and allow it to install Global Base in the normal manner.

If that process prompts to create a backup of default content then I would do that. I've had a look at the user guide and don't see a reference to that, so if you could advise if it does or not that would be appreciated.

As I hinted, I think my installation was handled by the previous installer so I don't have experience of how the latest version of Central goes about that, or not as the case may be. if it does, grand, I'll copy to a safe location.

I then plan to use the option within Central to install my regions and airports to a library area outside the sim folder structure.

kind regards :)

Dave

Dear Nick, to avoid creating additional topic let me ask you a question.

I bought a brand new computer with Windows 10. I will install completely all ORBX from scratch.

Do I need to uninstall all ORBX products from Windows 7 on my old computer? Or I can just erase my old disk (plan to sell my old computer).

I'm just afraid that on the new hardware, ORBX Central will decide that I'm installing a second copy of all the products and block the installation.

Archived