Orbx TrueEarth Great Britain South V2 P3Dv4.5 and UK2000's Xtreme Airports

Nixon

Hi

I installed V2 of TrueEarth GB South over Christmas. This evening I loaded Exeter Airport to discover that UK2000's Xtreme version was not showing. I had the same results with their Southend and London City. I also loaded their Cardiff and Stansted airports to find a mix of their scenery with the stock scenery. I then loaded their Manchester Xtreme which is not in the area covered by TrueEarth and it loaded perfectly. I have now disabled all Orbx files in the Scenery library and I have now successfully loaded UK2000's Exeter Xtreme. I should add that all their airports loaded correctly with V1 of TrueEarth GB South.

I would appreciate any advice on how I can get UK2000's Xtreme airports to work with your V2.

Regards

Nixon

I will repeat the answer that I gave on the UK2000 forum.......

There are two options that I would try....

1. The ORBx Scenery Library entry positions can be set from ORBx Central. That would be the easiest way to get them below the UK2000 entries.
2. You could reinstall all of your UK2000 airports, and choose NOT to install them via the addon.xml method. You would need to manually add them to the Scenery Library.

Let me know if you need any help with either of those two suggestions.

Hello Christopher,

should I understand from your post that the UK 2000 airports will all work seamlessly, as long as they are all positioned

above the TEGB scenery library entries?

I note that your customer, Nixon, has included in his post there, the salient fact that is missing here, that he has placed

all the UK 2000 airports under the TEGB entries.

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply. Can you please clarify the following:

"You will need to move some further airport files into the Airport folder and some airport files back into the scenery  folder." What exactly do you mean by "further airport files"?

A little further down you state that " These files should remain in the scenery folder" with underneath a list of files written in white on a black background. Am I correct  in assuming that the only files that should remain in the scenery folder are those highlighted? or do I need to find the unspecified "further airport files" and if so how am I meant to know which airport files I should put back into the scenery folder?

Regards

Nixon

Hello Nixon,

the idea is that you should make changes to your file structure so that your folders look exactly like the images I provided.

However, Mr Low seems to be suggesting that you do not need to do anything except move all your UK 2000 scenery

library entries above the TEGB entries and all will be well.

Please try that first.

@Nick Cooper

For full compatibility I think a number of steps may be needed...

1. Uk2000 scenery placed above TEGB

2. 3dm buildings for some airports turned off?

3. Afcads for Orbx airfields being replaced by uk2000 turned off

4. TEGB autogen files around the uk2000 airport copied into the UK2000 airport texture folder. (The uk2000 PR base will exclude the TEGB agn).  It is possible to manually identify which agn files are needed for each airport, but their quadtree system based naming convention doesn't make this easy.  Just flight included a set of folders with agn files relevant to each UK airfield with their competing product, which made this compatibility issue a breeze.  Perhaps it would be possible for Orbx to do the same?  If not, it's really not an I surmountable problem but it will require users to manually identify, elect and copy considerable numbers of arcanely named agn files between folders.  If Orbx didn't want to provide folder groups of agn files, would they be ok hosting then if the community made them? Or granting permission for others to host such downloads of what would really be Orbx assets?  I'm guessing that a lot of users won't want to/be confident about doing it manually...

PS The UK2000 base imagery will be lighter than the surrounding area because it isnt colour matched to TEGB.  This is something that should be addressed to UK2000 as it's within Gary's control, I would like to see him add TEGB compatibility to his products like he did for Horizon and Orbx other products, its not an Orbx support issue, before anyone raises it here!

Hello Kevin,

as you know, I have made a topic in the compatibility forum outlining pretty much all the things you have listed except the autogen.

Until I have a definitive answer, I have hidden it from view.

I have to say that I added the autogen folder to the UK 2000 airport files by way of a test and still saw the same gaps.

I am not concerned about the UK 2000 airport background imagery which is satisfactory as it is for my somewhat less acute point of view.

Nor am I personally concerned about the winter textures, as I do not personally see the point in trying to use a summer only product

such as the TEGB series with the simulator set to the middle of winter.

Similarly, I do not see the point in using such a product before or after sunset but I understand that there are customers and indeed beta testers

who wish to do so.

That aside, the reply from your colleague Mr Low appears to suggest that it is no longer necessary to go through the laborious

process of editing out files from the Orbx product, when all that is needed is to ensure that the UK 2000 scenery library entries are above

those of the TEGB entries.

It is that question that requires the definitive answer.

As a further aside, my own personal decision is to move all the addon scenery back into the P3D v4 root folder where it can be easily

managed with the Scenery Config Editor. I have lost patience with the xml method, which for those of us who have numerous scenery

configurations is very limiting and requires two additional programs instead of only one.

For anyone who might be wondering, the decision has nothing to do with Orbx Central which I continue to use.

41 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

That aside, the reply from your colleague Mr Low appears to suggest that it is no longer necessary to go through the laborious

process of editing out files from the Orbx product, when all that is needed is to ensure that the UK 2000 scenery library entries are above

those of the TEGB entries.

It is that question that requires the definitive answer

I'm quite sure Chris will chime in with his views, I'll leave you to it (I can fix mine quite happily, just trying to help other users with a slicker solution!) :)

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I will repeat the answer that I gave on the UK2000 forum.......

There are two options that I would try....

1. The ORBx Scenery Library entry positions can be set from ORBx Central. That would be the easiest way to get them below the UK2000 entries.
2. You could reinstall all of your UK2000 airports, and choose NOT to install them via the addon.xml method. You would need to manually add them to the Scenery Library.

Let me know if you need any help with either of those two suggestions.

Hi Chris,

Would this advice also be true for the UK2000 VFR Airfields products? A quick look a EGBE shows some rivers on the airfield boundary in trenches when using option 1. Would disabling the UK2000 cvx files work, so using the UK2000 scenery but with the ORBX terrain blending?

Cheers

Phil

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

In fact the easy way to do this is to:

1. simply move (if you think you might need them again) or

delete the four UK 2000 folders from the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder.

2. Add the four UK 2000 folders to your in game scenery library, whether using P3D or a utility

such as the Scenery Config Editor. It does not matter where they were installed.

If for some reason it is wished to return to the xml method, delete the four scenery library entries

and restore the four folders to the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder.

I didn't have this problem with TrueEarth GB South original version. So has something changed in V2 to cause this? or could it be that as the original version was installed by the company who built my new computer in May of this year and I then installed all my UK2000 Xtreme airports, which I therefore presume means that they would have been above Orbx in the scenery library and that's why everything was ok until updating to V2 which caused the Orbx files to be above the UK2000's. If that's the case then putting the Orbx files below the UK2000's, should solve this.

Hello,

Orbx Central has the means to set the Orbx scenery library entries to a location chosen

by the customer.

It is to be found on the insertion point page of Orbx Central.

Use it to set the Orbx airports and regions below your UK 2000 airports and your problem should indeed go away.

If you take a read of the linked topic above and the recommendation by Gary Summons, you will be fully informed,

should you subsequently find anomalies.

My personal experience with TrueEarth GB South v1 (I have not upgraded yet) is that UK2000 airports (and indeed other UK airports like Aerosoft Heathrow Professional) lose most of their 3D buildings and other objects if they are positioned below the ORBx regions in the Scenery Library. This issue is resolved if the relative positions are switched.

I have the UK2000 VFR Airfields packages installed, but I have not checked most of these airfields because I have generally only been flying in and out of the larger UK2000 Xtreme airports. However, it is worth noting that moving the airports above the ORBx regions does not solve the autogen exclusion problems. I completely agree with Kevin that it would be extremely useful to have a "check list" of autogen files that need to be moved to the respective UK2000 Xtreme Airport texture folders. Missing autogen is an extremely annoying problem, and it really needs to be sorted out one way or another.

Hello Christopher Low,

it is everyone's experience that if addon airports are placed below Orbx regions, those addon airports do not work.

The regions all start with a huge exclude to remove all influences from outside factors and are the built up from that starting point.

Placing airports, whether Orbx or another developer's below that will of course exclude their features.

I may be wrong but I doubt that there exists a checklist for which of the 85712 autogen files in TEGB South, 49605 in TEGB North

and 42626 in TEGB Central are required to populate the surroundings of UK 2000 airports.

Perhaps there is.

There is of course far more to UK 2000 than the Extreme range and the problem affects them all.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

I doubt that there exists a checklist for which of the 85712 autogen files in TEGB South, 49605 in TEGB North

The other developer I referred to produced a list of agn files for every EGxx airfield by outputting an automated list of every tile within a certain radius...facilitating a simple dump of those relevant airfield files into the texture folder of that scenery :)

Thanks Nick

I have found the insertion point page of Orbx Central and with one click the Orbx files were below UK2000's airports. I have checked Exeter, Cardiff and Bristol and all appears in order. This method is considerably easier than the one linked above and therefore it maybe worth making it a linked topic.

Regards

Nixon

Archived