TEGB Installation with FTX Central?

borisvp

Good day,

I'd like to buy TEGB with the current bundle offer, but can I install it with FTX Central?

I had massive failures with ORBX Central during a new installation of my simulator, and went back to FTXC, which works fine and also shows the 3 TEGB parts. As nobody could tell the reasons for these failures, I will not install ORBX Central now and risk a good working sim, that's why.

Regards

Boris

Hello,

I have spent many weeks re-installing Prepar3D and multiple scenery addons after very bad experience with Orbx Central too. I too went back to FTXC which runs with no problems and also will also not install Orbx Central unless I am sure I wont run into the same  headaches again!

John

3 hours ago, borisvp said:

I'd like to buy TEGB with the current bundle offer, but can I install it with FTX Central?

Hello,

no, you cannot.

If you use Orbx Central to install the TEGB products and do nothing else,

it will behave in exactly the same way as FTX Central did.

If you tick the legacy box on the Insertion Point page and of course set the

Insertion Point correctly, it will also arrange  your scenery in exactly the same way.

So, can I use FTX Central and ORBX Central (for TEGB) in parallel to see how it works? And switch to ORBX Central step by step, without altering anything in my sim?

In my initial install, ORBX Central did something with my terrain (or whatever) configuration, which you can see in the screenshots in the other thread. I don't know what that was, but I don't want that to happen again. I'm really afraid to blow up my sim...

Well, I finally was bold enough to switch to ORBX Central (and threw more money at ORBX :rolleyes:), and - phew - no major issues so far. 

I've set it up now to "legacy layering" and manually sort the scenery layering with SimStarter. With the normal layering method, there were some issues with some of my addon airports (I haven't checked all of them yet, though). One thing to notice here: I find it a bit unfortunate that I could not prevent Central from rearranging my scenery.cfg and all scenery add-on.cfg files during intial installation. After that, all layers in the add-on.cfg files had been changed and I had to revert this one by one when going back to legacy layering. I hope Central doesn't touch my add-on.cfg files again without asking.

But all in all, the tool is installed now and my simulator looks and runs as before.

Boris

Archived