TE Wash, OR, and NorCal Overlay Folders Kill Trees in SoCal

Torbin

So I noticed very nicely modeled airports outside the TE Washington, Oregon, and NorCal coverage areas were missing custom placed trees, specifically KSBP, KIZA, KSBA, and KJAC by GPB500 just to name a few. After performing the time-consuming obligatory "removing all non-applicable libraries, meshes, ortho tiles, airports and replacing them a bit at a time" maneuver, I found the missing trees are being caused specifically by the three Obrx_US_<sceneryName>_TE_Overlay folders.

Furthermore, I went into the folders and opened the library.txt files, where I commented out the top lines that seem to be intended to "blank out the trees". Doing this allowed the sceneries outside the TE coverage areas display correctly again. See the images and corresponding windows.

I would suspect this may cause a flood of non-Orbx trees within Orbx TE coverage areas. I hope you can find a way to exclude the trees you want within your regions without breaking details in many customized sceneries outside of your regions.

TE Overlay Folder Tree Conflict-Blanked.jpg

TE Overlay Folder Tree Conflict-NotBlanked.jpg

I am interested to know what your scenery_packs.ini looks like, because if those named 3rd party airports mentioned by you were above Global airports and above the TE files, I would have thought that the TE overlay files would have no influence over those airports. I have no doubt that what you are saying is accurate and obviously well investigated but before I post this as a BUG report I would ask for you to attach your scenery_packs.ini for review.

Thanks

@Tony Wroblewski

I notice a few points in your scenery_packs.ini. You have 3 Orbx airports located under Global Airports so they are not correctly layered. I also notice that you have no TE Washington/Oregon or NorCal Overlay folders installed. Would you clarify why the overlay folders are not installed when your initial post was about the apparent adverse effect on trees on a select few 3rd party addon airports? Is there a huge list of affected treeless airports that warrant the removal of all the overlay files? 

Hi Jon, sorry. I had mistakenly uploaded that scenery ini after a flight I had done with the TE overlay folders pulled so I could fly from ABQ to SBP with the trees visible at SBP.

I just tossed that ini in the trash, renamed my Global scenery folder so it is below all Orbx airports and TE folders, and then launched X-Plane with myself located at KSBP. The trees were missing with the re-installation of the TE overlay folders.

I have attached the particular scenery ini that shows the list that results in missing trees. Let me know if you see anything else I should adjust.

Thank you.

scenery_packs.txt

2 hours ago, Torbin said:

Hi Jon, sorry... renamed myGlobal scenery folder so it is below all Orbx airports and TE folders, and then launched X-Plane with myself located at KSBP. The trees were missing with the re-installation of the TE overlay folders.

Thank you.

scenery_packs.txt 55.58 kB · 0 downloads

Typo CORRECTION: Global Airports, not scenery (as you'll see in the ini)

@Torbin I have rearranged your scenery_packs.ini as it was incorrectly layered especially the TE entries. # which you should have left under Global Airports and not above.

I am unsure which versions of the GBP500 airports you have, whether payware or freeware but I have tried his freeware version of KSBP and post a pic of what I see with nothing changed in any of the TE Overlay folders (library text). You may well be correct about some missing trees being caused by the Library Text in the Overlays but I cannot determine that as it would have to come from the Devs, however, the pic I show looks perfectly acceptable to me regarding the ability to use and fly to and from the airport and also visually. There maybe some trees missing but it doesn't affect the functionality nor aesthetics of the airport. 

You may disagree but for  few missing trees, I would leave things alone until we get acknowledgement or otherwise from the Devs. Keep a copy of the attached scenery_packs.ini as it is valid upto you installing anything else other than a 3rd party airport.

scenery_packs.txt

KSBP pic with Ortho4XP imagery for SoCal

Capture.thumb.JPG.c29a12b41b9a975e5df5ca8d3205eb66.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jon, I finally had time to get in the sim and try the scenery_packs file.  So unfortunately the trees mentioned/pictured in the initial post still do not appear at airports outside (as well as inside) the TE coverage areas with this corrected .ini file in place. Basically any addon airport that uses the autogen_tree1.obj through autogen_tree4.obj will have their trees disappear when any of the current Obrx_US_<sceneryName>_TE_Overlay folders are installed.  And leaving those TE_Overlay folders out of the Custom Scenery folder (or editing them as seen above) will bring on many issues within the TE coverage areas as well.

I'm assuming the Orbx team will be looking into a way to solve this? I understand on the scale of things your suggestion to deal with the missing trees is a smaller scale consequence than removing/editing the TE_Overlay folders, but being that Orbx is a scenery company that values the importance  of hand placed objects understands we users hope this is a temporary fix until a solution is found so both Orbx and non-Orbx custom sceneries can happily coexist.

Thank you.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:16 AM, Jon Clarke said:

...You may well be correct about some missing trees being caused by the Library Text in the Overlays but I cannot determine that as it would have to come from the Devs, however, the pic I show looks perfectly acceptable to me regarding the ability to use and fly to and from the airport and also visually. There maybe some trees missing but it doesn't affect the functionality nor aesthetics of the airport. 

You may disagree but for  few missing trees, I would leave things alone until we get acknowledgement or otherwise from the Devs....

KSBP pic with Ortho4XP imagery for SoCal

Capture.thumb.JPG.c29a12b41b9a975e5df5ca8d3205eb66.JPG

Jon, are you speaking of the Devs in Orbx or the airport devs such as gpb500?

I am referring to Orbx devs as we have nothing to do with other dvs.

@Tony Wroblewski Hi Tony. I  would appreciate your view on this topic please as in this customers case the influence of TE overlays is resulting in certain airports having their trees removed. Reading the start of this topic through to the end will help assist in explaining the problem.

For now, please open the file called "library.txt" from the Orbx_A_US_NoCal_Overlay folder in a text editor and delete the lines:

EXPORT lib/g10/forests/autogen_tree1.obj objects/blank.obj
EXPORT lib/g10/forests/autogen_tree2.obj objects/blank.obj
EXPORT lib/g10/forests/autogen_tree3.obj objects/blank.obj
EXPORT lib/g10/forests/autogen_tree4.obj objects/blank.obj
EXPORT lib/g10/forests/autogen_tree_any.obj objects/blank.obj

N.B. If you have Washington or Oregon you'll need to do the same

This will bring the trees back, but it also will put lots of unwanted trees in the scenery, e.g. along roads or at gateway airports which have very different tree colours.

The region definition I tried doesn't work here, neither does the "PRIVATE" keyword, so will ask LR for help getting this just to affect California.

Archived