First Time Installation Pre Install Questions

TonyVT

As a new forum member who just found out about Orbx, I plan on purchasing TrueEarth US Northern California HD. I have downloaded and installed the Orbx Central application. After reading several posts in the X-Plane Support Forum, I’m seeing the need to 1) add the Convert.cmd file to the X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos\textures folder, and 2) making sure that the Orbx scenery packs are placed below the Laminar’s Global Airports and Landmarks folder. Actually, I wouldn't add the Convert.cmd file the the Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos\textures folder, I would add it to the proper folder inside the TrueEarth US Northern California HD installation.

After I install the product via the Orbx Central application, will I have to worry about the order of the scenery packs and the placement of the Convert.cmd file, or other post install tasks that I'm not aware of it?

Thank you for any advice.
Tony

Hello,

if you are installing True Earth HD products, you need only ensure that there is enough free space

on the disk where the installation work is to be done and on the destination disk, where you want the files

to be placed.

Orbx Central allows you to choose the location for both of these things.

Virtually all the problems encountered are due to a lack of disk free space in one or both of the locations

and is easily avoided.

The others are usually because the prerequisite software has not been installed.

As an aside, it is no longer possible to install any of the True Earth products using FTX Central and the advice

you have been reading relates only to that and its installation method and is therefore now redundant.

Thank you for your response Nick.

Previously, you advised me to create a folder on my external HD (5 TB) for Orbx content, which is where I have successfully installed the Great Britain demo.

Other than hearing, "FTX Central" in these forums, I've never used it. I assume this is a predecessor to Orbx Central (although not sure) which is what I'm using.

So, in theory, given the large amount of storage on my external HD and using Orbx Central, I should be good to go.

Thank you,

Tony

14 hours ago, TonyVT said:

As a new forum member who just found out about Orbx, I plan on purchasing TrueEarth US Northern California HD. I have downloaded and installed the Orbx Central application. After reading several posts in the X-Plane Support Forum, I’m seeing the need to 1) add the Convert.cmd file to the X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos\textures folder, and 2) making sure that the Orbx scenery packs are placed below the Laminar’s Global Airports and Landmarks folder. Actually, I wouldn't add the Convert.cmd file the the Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos\textures folder, I would add it to the proper folder inside the TrueEarth US Northern California HD installation.

After I install the product via the Orbx Central application, will I have to worry about the order of the scenery packs and the placement of the Convert.cmd file, or other post install tasks that I'm not aware of it?

Thank you for any advice.
Tony

What is your Operating system, Windows or Mac?

I am not familiar with Mac but I do know that with Windows there is no need at all to add any Convert.cmd file. The conversion is automatic without any additional help.

Tony,

I purchased TrueEarth US Northern California HD and it appears to running fine. However, I did check the scenery_packs.ini file and discovered that some of the files listed below were placed before the landmarks folders. In any event, I moved the files to the very bottom of my scenery_packs.ini file. I hope that's correct.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_US_NoCal_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_US_NoCal_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_OrbxlibsXP/

Tony

2 minutes ago, TonyVT said:

Thank you so much Jon. By the way, I can provide you my transaction id if necessary. If you do require it, do I post it in my reply or is that sent privately?

Tony

scenery_packs.ini 1.51 kB · 0 downloads

Here is your revised scenery_packs.ini file. The Landmarks files can go below Global Airports and below the NorCal because the landmarks are not covering any NorCal area and NorCal has it's own Overlay and custom scenery.

scenery_packs.ini

Archived