Missing dds files for TE_NorCal

rwolff

A new installation of TE Northern California:

X Plane faults with log message:

0:08:44.601 E/SYS: | Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:08:44.601 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos/terrain/c3a0x4fe0x17SM.ter
0:08:44.601 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_US_NoCal_TE_Orthos/terrain/
0:08:44.601 E/SYS: | ../textures/c3a0x4fe0x17.dds

Sure enough, the error msg is correct: there is no dds file in the textures directory.  There is however a identically named .jpg file.  Did the conversion process fail or perhaps it never ran?  In any event, how do I fix this?  If this is indeed a conversion problem, I have nearly 100 .jpg files in the textures directory!  I have run the "verify files" command in Central more than once.  The first time it found many files to work on; the second and third times, nothing.

Richard

I am having to assume the message you got was regarding a missing dds file? Without a pic of the message and your further detailed description, then yes it appears the conversion from jpg to dds did not complete.

There could be a couple of reasons. The first is that there was not enough space on the disk that you downloaded on to if that disk is different to where you want the installation.

Can you confirm if the disk space on the chosen download disk is different to the installation disk, and what capacity the disks have if indeed there are 2 disks involved?

I did not specify a download disk, but accepted the suggested temp location which I believe is the system disk, capacity 256GB, 100 GB free.  The installation disk is 1TB, with just 20GB free now that TE NorCal is there, occupying 193GB.

Hello,

the 100GB of free space on your C drive is perhaps the cause of the original problem.

Having said that, 20 GB is not enough free space to allow anything much on a product of this size.

Unless you have other disks with more free space, it might be that the SD version would be more suited

to your needs.

Its installed size is just under 54 GB and there is no conversion process.

The 20GB is what is left now that almost all of TE NorCal is installed.  Surely those 20GB are enough space to contain the dds files that will result after conversion of the approximately 100 .jpg files that didn't get converted.

I've run it about 4 or 5 times now.  It verifies 67056 (if memory serves) files.  However, the very first time I ran it, after I got an error message from X Plane yesterday, it was looking for (about) 71000 files and converted a number files.  Incidentally, that fixed the error message, but then another cropped up.  But it doesn't find anything wrong now and it no longer thinks there are ~71000 files to examine.  I then removed all those jpg files from the ../terrain folder and that didn't concern it.  They're back now.

Having jpgs in the Orthos/Textures folder is proof that the conversions have not completed. Disk space is normally the cause. I attach a Command.cmd file for you to place into the NorCal/Orthos/textures folder. Once it is in there click on it and it will open a screen in DOS and start looking for jpgs to convert. If it doesn't complete all the conversions then it means you do not have enough disk space. If it does complete it's run, the again check if there are any jpgs left behind. There is usually an option at the end of the DOS run to remove all the unnecessary files just enter "Y" for yes and it will remove any unwanted files and just leave you with the required png and dds files.

Convert.cmd

Thanks.  Exactly what was needed.  I'm using the new Central which of course requires a different path for texconv.exe.  The program did not ask about unnecessary files, and that's ok as those 130 .jpg don't take up much space in the scheme of things and they are easy enough to erase.

8 hours ago, rwolff said:

Thanks.  Exactly what was needed.  I'm using the new Central which of course requires a different path for texconv.exe.  The program did not ask about unnecessary files, and that's ok as those 130 .jpg don't take up much space in the scheme of things and they are easy enough to erase.

So is it all OK now? Issue resolved?

Archived