Settings for multiple ORBX products

I have a LOT of ORBX stuff. When I fly in a region I disable the other regions & airports outside of my area. But I still have some performance issues I want to optimize. 

So my question is, if I have:

Global BASE Pack, VECTOR, openLC North America & TreesHD, AND NA Southern California, and several airports,

1. Do I need all the products together or does NA Socal have features that overlap with underlying products?

2. What features should I start turning off in BASE, VECTOR or openLC that will improve performance without sacrificing too much in the visual since I have NA Socal?

I have P3Dv4.5HF2 settings pretty much as ORBX recommends in the multiple User Guides.

I have a pretty powerful PC: I9 9900K @5.0GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB 3200 RAM, 1TB nvMe SSD etc

Thanks,

Bruce

Hello,

1. if you are flying in a region, you need nothing else active in your scenery library,

apart of course from the Orbx Libraries.

All the regions include bespoke landclass, mesh and Vector data.

2. you cannot turn anything on or off in Global Base because it has no control panel.

If you are in "NA Socal" you could disable openLC and Vector.

I would not expect that to make much difference but feel free to try it.

Can you be a bit more specific about your "performance issues", such as where, what they are

and what you think might be the cause please?

Hello,

there are certain parts of the simulated world where there is simply so much going

on that no one can but see their PC working much harder.

I would think that there are many other places where you might see that, London (England)

is one, Seattle is another.

Add in one of more enhancements, such as a more detailed city, a top quality airport or indeed

anything that adds to the already massive workload and even the most powerful PC will show

signs of struggling.

There is also the theory that in fact the simulator software itself can be overwhelmed, regardless of

how much horsepower there is.

That is what is going on I just viewed a youtube video that talked about turning off some things in orbx sceneries that might help and just thought I would ask .  I may try turning off openLC and Vector by unchecking in the scenery to see it they make a difference.  Thanks for quick replies as always

35 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

1. if you are flying in a region, you need nothing else active in your scenery library,

apart of course from the Orbx Libraries.

All the regions include bespoke landclass, mesh and Vector data.

2. you cannot turn anything on or off in Global Base because it has no control panel.

If you are in "NA Socal" you could disable openLC and Vector.

I would not expect that to make much difference but feel free to try it.

Can you be a bit more specific about your "performance issues", such as where, what they are

and what you think might be the cause please?

Thanks Nick!

I also get several second stutters, in the SOCAL area (around LA, but I don't have a specific LAX scenery). I do have other add on's like LVFR KSNA, though. I disable (through P4AO) sceneries outside of where I'm flying since rumor has it ORBX does something with those sceneries that could cause stutters. Not sure that's true tho.

I also would like to get rid of some of the "black" buildings in the distance until they render and some autogen "popping" so I'm looking to free up CPU cycles. I'll try the disabling BASE, VECTOR and openLC when I'm flying in the regions.

Hello Bill,

no problem.

Anything is worth a try but in general, I think it's fair to say that reducing the load will always increase performance.

I am happy to have my PC slugging away at 20 to 24 fps (locked at 24 fps) and see everything that a developer has

added, even though by reducing the scenery complexity and autogen sliders to medium and normal, I can triple the

frame rate and it's smoother.

As ever, it is mostly a matter of choice, scenery elements that do cause problems exist but are rare.

Apparently one of the problems at default Seattle is the dock cranes for example, their models use a disproportionate

amount of resources.

2 hours ago, bill721 said:

and the quality wasn't as good

Should there be any difference if the region has the landclass, mesh and vector data and the global stuff is below the region in the library? I didn’t see any apparent difference but I also didn’t see much difference in the pauses or popping. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 6:45 PM, bbuckley said:

Should there be any difference if the region has the landclass, mesh and vector data and the global stuff is below the region in the library? I didn’t see any apparent difference but I also didn’t see much difference in the pauses or popping. 

I'd still like to know if there should be any difference if I don't activate ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 & 2 and ORBX!OPENLCz_BASE and ORBX!VECTOR sceneries if I am flying strictly in SOCAL with FTX_NA_SC... sceneries active. I still get 4 to 5 sec pauses a couple of times a flight when all are active especially at dusk to night when all are active.

Archived