XP freeze

Alitalia

I get a similar thing. Normally 30-40 FPS then suddenly frozen for a few seconds. My suspicion is that X-Plane is loading in some new scenery which, due to current code limitations, causes everything else to 'pause' until the operation is complete. It may be something else but it's definitely CPU rather than GPU related. Hopefully, Vulkan might improve things somewhat.

@Patrizio Migliola There could be several reasons for a freeze. Is the freeze a temporary one or does it require shutting down the PC?

In the TEGB series there is a lot of autogen and ZL17 textures to load up and sometimes the system needs to pause while the data reloads. One way you can test this, which is what I do, is to have FRAPS (https://www.fraps.com/download.php) and set the FPS reader to any corner of the screen you wish. I use FRAPs because it is so much easier to read than the FPS reader in XP /Data options. You will then see when the imagery is reloading as the FPS drops and fluctuates rapidly until it is fully loaded and then returns to your normal rate.

@Alitalia Looks like textures loading pauses.

Lowering your settings will help, running Textures @ Maximum is probably overloading the 8Gb Vram on your RTX 2080 causing it to page when you change views and load new textures.

I run almost exactly the same settings as you, and in Orbx TE regions even my 2080Ti's 11Gb VRAM buffer gets overwhelmed.

20 minutes ago, gordonhutchison said:

@Alitalia Looks like textures loading pauses.

Lowering your settings will help, running Textures @ Maximum is probably overloading the 8Gb Vram on your RTX 2080 causing it to page when you change views and load new textures.

I run almost exactly the same settings as you, and in Orbx TE regions even my 2080Ti's 11Gb VRAM buffer gets overwhelmed.

Thanks for concurring what I also believe is the cause of the pause/freeze.

Archived