How Come My LV16 Ortho is Sharper Then Orbx HD TE WA

fltsimguy

I'm making some ortho to butt up against my install of TE WA just south of Abbotsford at the 49th.  This is to continue into British Columbia

I notice that my base ortho, matches nicely in alignment but mine is considerably sharper. My ortho is still waiting for me to add an overlay.

My ortho is LV16, what Level is HD TE WA is supposed to be ? Because it doesn't even come close to mine.

Can someone also have a look at the transition at the 49th parallel between HD TE WA and British Columbia just south of Abbotsford to confirm the sharpness of Orbx ortho. If you can provide a screenie to show me what yours looks like this would be helpful.

Bryan

-2019-oct-18-062.jpg

-2019-oct-18-063.jpg

OK part apologies, This section of my ortho is actually at LV17 in order to sharpen the Abbotsford Airport, just north of this location, I always like to do the area around airports at higher resolution.

But this still begs the question as to what Level the Orbx TE WA is at. Given the 208 gigs size it appears to be only at LV16.

Bryan

The imagery we use is a maximum 1m/px, so when used at ZL17 it's either slightly upscaled or downscaled depending on how far north you are.

If you're using Bing, Google or Arc imagery in Ortho4XP then you are downscaling much higher resolution imagery (Bing I think goes down to 30cm), so naturally the Bing imagery looks sharper because it's downscaled from imagery 2-4 times the resolution of our source.

However, since we (and users of Ortho4XP) can't legally use Bing imagery inside X-Plane, this is not something we can control or even attempt to compete with.

16 hours ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

The imagery we use is a maximum 1m/px, so when used at ZL17 it's either slightly upscaled or downscaled depending on how far north you are.

If you're using Bing, Google or Arc imagery in Ortho4XP then you are downscaling much higher resolution imagery (Bing I think goes down to 30cm), so naturally the Bing imagery looks sharper because it's downscaled from imagery 2-4 times the resolution of our source.

OK sir, thank you for the explanation, this is helpful.

Archived