Risks of updating FTX Central 3.3.9 to Central 4.0.16 ?

ChuckOman

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  Win10 64

Simulator:  P3D4.4

Screenshot:  

Issue:  Hi Nick - I own dozens of Orbx global and NA sceneries for P3D4.  But back in August after reading all the forum posts about problems with migration, AEC, MakeRunways, and - apparently - SimstarterNG compatibility, I've delayed updating from FTX Central 3 to Central 4, since my P3D4 scenery install is working well.  But I don't want to remain an Orbx orphan.

- Is it now safe for P3D4 users like me with prior Central 3 scenery installs to upgrade to Central 4, provided I don't migrate any prior sceneries ? (I assume no migration happens automatically).

- Have the AEC and migration problems now been substantially resolved ? 

- If I remain with FTX Central 3.3.9.2,  what will I miss, other than improved download features ?  Will scenery and library updates still continue normally ?

- If I purchase new Orbx products, will they appear in FTX Central 3 normally ?

Would appreciate any advice.  Many thanks.

Chuck O

Hello,

most of the initial problems with Orbx Central are resolved and you should

be able to use it successfully, as I am.

There is no longer a problem with AEC.

New products must be installed using Orbx Central and are not available in FTX Central.

Updates are also no longer being included into FTX Central, which will be gradually

phased out.

I have left most of my FTX Central installation intact and am installing new products to

an Orbx Central Library.

You will need to create such a library and install Objectflow into it, but that is the only

product that must be installed in that way.

Hello,

I just installed ORBX Central. I was one of the people who complained about the new ORBX Central a few months ago and went back to FTX Central till the problems were solved. I tried again and am now very happy with ORBX Central. It works for me. Thanks for your support on the issues I encountered.

Regards

Hans

Okay...this was very helpful.  Now I'm getting ready to install Orbx Central but still have a few questions:

1.       I see some people are using version 4.0.20 but the download page only has 4.0.16…am I on the wrong download page?

2.       Understand I need to put Object Flow folder into the Library I create…but on a post from 10/15 Nick said to be sure to discard the Object Flow Folder from the Documents\Prepar3Dv4 add-Ons directory.  If I discard this folder will there be a new Object Flow folder created by Orbx Central and will it be at the same location as the old folder and then I just move it over…or what?  Do I move the whole folder over or just the XML file inside?

3.       If I can do a migration do I put everything from my “Prepar3D\Orbx”  into my new library that I create?  Do I put the whole “Orbx” folder into the library or just the folders inside it…or what?  I really need to move my current Orbx files out of my P3D drive.

Thanks for your help and clarification.

Hello,

1. to use the latest version, you must opt in to the "Fastlane".

You can do this inside Orbx Central.

2. Delete the Orbjectflow 2 folder from Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.

Create an Orbx Central Library.

Install Objectflow into it, you will see it at the foot of your list of products.

3. Yes, you can migrate all but Global base into your Orbx Central Library.

DO NOT manually delete or move any files.

Do the whole process with Orbx Central or it will not work.

2. Delete the Orbjectflow 2 folder from Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.

Create an Orbx Central Library.

Install Objectflow into it, you will see it at the foot of your list of products.

Nick,

Do we have to delete that folder with any install of ORBX Central.  I am just doing it for the first time.

Archived