Question for the PC Upgrade Experts!

Wakashi

Gentlemen,
I am considering upgrading my GPU from Nvidia GTX980 to Nvidia RTX2080, my computer specs are as follows:

Alienware Area 51 Triad (4 years old)
4th Generation Intel I7 5820 3.8 GHz w/Turbo Boost Extreme 6 core Processor
16GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133 MHz
4 x 288 Pin DDR4 UDIMM Slots
5 Internal Expansion Slots PCI Express
1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved  Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Don't know what else to add at this time!
Questions:
1. Will my system (as is) handle a RTX2080 or RTX2080Ti (is there much difference in the two?)
2. Will there possibly be a bottleneck somewhere else that would give me grief?
3. I can get the card (RTX2080) from Alienware for $803.99 USD at this time.  (Cheaper than a new computer)
4. Is this enough information to anwer my quesions?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Roger 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, alright, alright, decided to go ahead and get the RTX2080 anyway, I’m kinda like the the guy that fell off the 15 story building, about the 7th floor he yells, SO FAR SO GOOD!  Still trying to get the best settings figured out but higher settings are working out thus far and holding good FPS #’s, maybe just a few more tweaks!  Extremely happy with the purchase!  Anybody interested in a slightly used GTX 980? :rolleyes:

This topic can be marked as RESOLVED!

Sorry Rodger,  I just saw this.

I was going to add that I would also increase the system memory. 

With settings cranked up I find I am now using between 15- 20 gb (Xplane + OS) quite often. For me 32 gb is working very well.

A good monitoring tool for this is msi afterburner. It will give a real time display of a large range of parameters ( gpu temps,vram,  gpu load, cpu temps,  ram usage, clock speeds and can be set to measure each core or give average values.it can be switched  on/off as required. It's a screen overlay so it won't show in screenshots.  I found it to be very useful. 

Cheers

Pete

31 minutes ago, renault said:

Sorry Rodger,  I just saw this.

I was going to add that I would also increase the system memory. 

With settings cranked up I find I am now using between 15- 20 gb (Xplane + OS) quite often. For me 32 gb is working very well.

A good monitoring tool for this is msi afterburner. It will give a real time display of a large range of parameters ( gpu temps,vram,  gpu load, cpu temps,  ram usage, clock speeds and can be set to measure each core or give average values.it can be switched  on/off as required. It's a screen overlay so it won't show in screenshots.  I found it to be very useful. 

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete, I figured I would replace the memory if the 2080 worked out and it seem as if that is working OK so I will probably up the memory to 32 also.  I will check the "MSI Afterburner" program out also!  Thanks for the input

Roger

Archived